Mini Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the party star tap-it has more metal parts than the beer king shown in the pictures & a much longer serving pipe,which means it pours a really tight head. Only downside is it drips a little after pouring but well worth a look

BIGJIM72 said:
I really like the party star tap-it has more metal parts than the beer king shown in the pictures & a much longer serving pipe,which means it pours a really tight head. Only downside is it drips a little after pouring but well worth a look

Last time I spoke to Leyland Home Brew they had stopped doing the party star tap as they were getting problems with it...they didn't explain exactly what. I see now they are doing another tap but it doesn't look any more substantial than the Beer King 2000.

Does dribble a little after pouring a pint,but that's not a major issue as far as I am concerned. Thats a small price to pay IMHO for a sturdy tap made of mostly metal parts rather than a plastic jobby.

Wow, this thread had spring into life!.

Thanks for all the info guys!.. I transferred my old conckerwood into the kegs last night, much more easier than bottling!..

Can't wait to try it now!..

Is it two weeks at normal room temp and then two weeks in the cool ie a shed?...
Matt

Spursmatt said:
Wow, this thread had spring into life!.

Thanks for all the info guys!.. I transferred my old conckerwood into the kegs last night, much more easier than bottling!..

Can't wait to try it now!..

Is it two weeks at normal room temp and then two weeks in the cool ie a shed?...
Matt

I do 10 days in the warm then stick out in the cold for 3 to 5 weeks or more.

Very informative post.

So the taps that use co2, is that just to maintain a pressure that will pour the beer, or is it a way of force carbing?

I'd like to do a lager in one of these, is it possible to get a decent level of fizz in one of these or will it always be better in bottles? I've heard you shouldn't add proportionately the same amount of sugar in one of the mini kegs as you would a barrel or bottle. Not sure if that's true though.

As I mentioned previously the instructions that came with the minikeg starter kit suggested no more than 8 grams of sugar per keg (these were kegs without a built in tap).TBH I've never kept a minikeg in the fridge with the tap attached-I usually leave them at room temp.I would suggest bottling or cornie for lager really. Over priming a mini can lead to buckling or splitting (in extreme cases).

I'll be getting a corny when I can afford one... seem like an expensive option. Ill stick to bottles for a while I think.

Need;
Corny
Regulator
Co2 (no clue where to get it from)
Fridge
All tubes, pipes and taps
Knowledge or how to put it all together haha

Ill have to put it on my xmas list!

Try a mini from a local micro/Lidls-they can be re used. You may need a new bung for the top but they are inexpensive.See how you get on with one before writing them off.

So I received my starter kit today (hate the branding on the kegs but ho hum) and I've put an order in for 2 simple kegs, the ones with the handle and bottom taps, now I've seen pictures of these with the co2 tap thingy on them but I was wondering if they came with the bungs to use the co2 tap or if it is a swap job.

I've used the beer king tap with the 2 piece grey bungs and the 3 piece red and black ones. I have found that with the 3 piece bungs there's more likely to be problems not sealing properly if they have been used several times, or maybe I'm too heavy handed when it comes to removing them! I have also had one dip tube that wouldn't make a seal until I had trimmed the seam at the top where the two halves of the tube are joined. I did this with a stanley blade just to smooth off the seam at the top, only a cm or so where it will make contact with the bung.

Leyland homebrew sell unbranded/plain mini kegs, btw.

Thought I'd jump in on this post to say I'm off to leyland shortly and will be purchasing a mini keg system, I'm new to home brewing and currently brewing a coopers australian larger with an extra 250g of sugar, should be tasty! Hopefully the kegs will be good to my larger. I live in chorley and would be good to know if anyone els naer me is brewing :)

cooperkit23 said:
I live in chorley and would be good to know if anyone els naer me is brewing :)

Check the Map under the blue button, left end of forum banner

a mini keg can only take a low psi or it starts to deform. i prime mine with 16-18grams of sugar for cider and ale but i use a bottom tap so it knocks some of the co2 out.
im not sure you will get the carb level needed

I like the look of these, just been looking at them in home brew shop and there 5 pound odd. May have to invest in a couple when I next order some stuff but it may be some time as I have about 6 tins waiting for brewing

Latest posts

Back