Cheap & Simple Tropical Punch - A BBQ MUST

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A 5L water bottle 90p from asda, yeast does collect on the ribs of the side of the bottle but simply flicking the sides every few days knocks the yeast off and clears nicely.
If you dont do this when you ome to rack with ur homemade syphon you find that the yeast is washed off the sides and clouds up all ur brew ;)

A 50cm lengh of plastic tube
A tiny bit of string
A old wine cap with two slits cut in it

Was going to write this up on http://www.instructables.com/ for total noobies to start brewing using this recipe and these beautiful pieces of equipment:

The airlock:
Capture1JPG.jpg

The syphon:
Capture.jpg

Not sure why but the tropical bottles are not carbing up at all, opened another yesterday and it was slightly fizzier but still not much and it's been 13 days now I think. The strawberry & kiwi version seems to be firming up more already after only 5 days! Any idea why this could be? It was primed with around 6g per 500ml (2 coopers drops as I still had half a bag lying around). Temps are around 20 degrees where they are kept :wha:

Not long until I'll need to bottle a peach version :D

mines took 3 weeks to be "properly" fizzy, just give it some time (i have my second batch of this brew on the go just now! :D just need to stock up on empties again and i'll be ready to get another one of these on the go!)

That's good to hear, I've just always had my other brews carbing up well in 2 weeks so wasn't sure if I'd done something wrong! :whistle:

all my fizzy brews so far have taken a fair bit of time to get there, nothing to worry about, just the hard bit of trying to give it time, just want it surped! :P

Just bottled the peach version, this has tasted the best so far for me! Had the other bottles at a higher temperature and they are firming up nicely now :thumb:

Good call mate! Just had a few pints of the peach and it a little beauty!
I'm so glad someone mentioned trying it! My new fave brew

I made this up yesterday and I've left it overnight but I've still got no activity yet...

I made up a Raspberry and Apple TC yesterday at the same time and that's slowly bubbling.

Shall I just give it more time before I start to worry?

Cheers guys

Mine usually set off straight away, I dry pitch mine though I use nutrients and drop of lemon juice. Never had a problem with delayed starting, now on my 5th brew. This recipe is too awesome.

Mine normally get going pretty quick too, also using nutrient. Did you bring the juice to a simmer for 10 minutes? I'd just give it a few more days before worrying, as long as you did everything you should be ok :thumb:

nice simple recipe for my first attempt, seemed to go well and is just starting to bubble

got 2 cases of coors light that ive gotta drink for the bottles (thats my excuse) off to get a capper and some caps the weekend

hopefully this will save me a fortune on them flavoured bulmers that my mrs drinks

one quick (noob) question what is the best sugar for priming ?? does it matter :wha:

@moleyman,
The type of priming sugar doesn't matter much. Straight forward T&L carbonates at around 1/2 tspoonfull per 500mL. Other sugars will impart a little flavour to the brew which can be very nice but you will need a little more than the 1/2 tspoonful/500mL. From a personal taste point of view you may like highly fizzy drinks in that case up the quantity of priming sugar.

Best approach is to multiply the 1/2tspoonfull by the amount of beer to be bottled and add it in bulk to your bottling bucket then add the beer on top of that so it mixes and you will then be able to get the same amount of priming per bottle.

thanks mate :thumb:

also on a side note aldi do a fruit and barley with no added sugar for 79p (summer fruit and peach) might help some shave a bit off the price (f&b is £1 at morrisons atm)

Will this be suitable to make in bulk?

If i make 20 litres in a fermenting bin will i just multiply the original recipe by 4?

Don't see why it wouldn't work in bulk, just means simmer more robinsons juice before cracking on, up the amounts like you said, should be all good :)

I find more than 1 gallon the drink is very watery on the tongue. Maybe in a 5 gal add 6 bottles.

Just done this with the summer fruits. Added a little extra sugar (just to use up what I had)

Looking forwards to getting a few more of these on the go too

won a bottle of summer fruits at a local fate today might have to give it a go. should have a dj empty in the next day or so

I plan to try this tonight with the lemon version. With maybe an extra lemon for something like a quick "hooch"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back