Your best ever WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
caitlintilt said:
I'm making a cherry and white grape juice one, right now it is fermenting like a good'un, I'll let you know when I bottle it how it's getting along :)

Could you or anyone else that has made this list everything you used to make it, thanks.

stevie1556 said:
I've got 3. They are:

Cherry - cherry and rgj

Steve (or anyone reading this) how much sugar would i add to 2 litre Cherry and 1 litre RGJ for 4.5 litres ?

Thanks in advance.

Chippy_Tea said:
Steve (or anyone reading this) how much sugar would i add to 2 litre Cherry and 1 litre RGJ for 4.5 litres ?

I used the standard WOW recipe, in that I used 1 litre cherry juice and 1 litre of red grape juice and 800 grams of sugar. It did turn out great though and I'm about to make another batch the same.

The extra litre of grape juice will replace a litre of water, so I think, although I'm still learning so maybe wrong, that you see how much sugar is in 1 litre of grape juice, and minus that from the 800 grams of sugar that you add. That will then still keep the wine at around 12%

stevie1556 said:
Chippy_Tea said:

I used the standard WOW recipe, in that I used 1 litre cherry juice and 1 litre of red grape juice and 800 grams of sugar. It did turn out great though and I'm about to make another batch the same.

The extra litre of grape juice will replace a litre of water, so I think, although I'm still learning so maybe wrong, that you see how much sugar is in 1 litre of grape juice, and minus that from the 800 grams of sugar that you add. That will then still keep the wine at around 12%

Grape juice is typically around 15% sugar, or 150g per litre, so you'd need to add 650g of sugar.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
stevie1556 said:
[quote="Chippy_Tea":1728fwzr]

Grape juice is typically around 15% sugar, or 150g per litre, so you'd need to add 650g of sugar.[/quote:1728fwzr]

Thanks, do i need citric acid or lemon juice for this one?

Cherries don't contain any citric acid, so I'd go for either malic (the main one in cherries) or tartaric (the main one in grapes) if you have them as they should reinforce the grape & cherry flavours.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Cherries don't contain any citric acid, so I'd go for either malic (the main one in cherries) or tartaric (the main one in grapes) if you have them as they should reinforce the grape & cherry flavours.

Never knew that, last time I used either a lemon or critic acid. I've got malic somewhere in my brew box, and I'll try tartaric when I order some bits.

Cheers for that! :cheers:

stevie1556 said:
Tim_Crowhurst said:

Never knew that, last time I used either a lemon or critic acid. I've got malic somewhere in my brew box, and I'll try tartaric when I order some bits.

Cheers for that! :cheers:

Stevie you said above "I used the standard WOW recipe" is there a "cherry wow" recipe or did you use the orange wine recipe and exchange the orange for the cherry, i ask as there is no reference to Citric acid in the original WOW recipe.

Chippy_Tea said:
there is no reference to Citric acid in the original WOW recipe.
No need to add acid to the original WOW due to the acid in orange juice, but it's well worth considering depending on the juice used. I always test the ph and aim for around 3.4-3.5, and if it needs adding I usually add tartaric acid as that compliments the grape juice.

mine was a fairly simple improvised recipe and as yet I have not tasted the final product, but I'll tell ya anyway

2 L tart cherry juice (which actually had a fair amount of grape and apple when looking at the label)
1 L white grape juice
1 tsp citric acid
1/2 tsp tannin
800g sugar
hock wine yeast
1 tsp pectolase
topped up with water

I think that's everything I put in, it's my first go at a WOW so not sure how it will go :D

Thanks Bob, so if the WOW has RGJ or WGJ and no citric fruit juice you should always add tartaric acid or do i need to go back to making kits cos they are easy. :lol:

Chippy_Tea said:
Stevie you said above "I used the standard WOW recipe" is there a "cherry wow" recipe or did you use the orange wine recipe and exchange the orange for the cherry, i ask as there is no reference to Citric acid in the original WOW recipe.

I used the orange WOW recipe and swapped the orange juice for cherry and the white grape juice for red. I think I may have got mixed up with other wines I have done with critic acid. Sorry for the confusion, I'll go stand in the corner with the stupid hat on.:cheers:

stevie1556 said:
Chippy_Tea said:

I used the orange WOW recipe and swapped the orange juice for cherry and the white grape juice for red. I think I may have got mixed up with other wines I have done with critic acid. Sorry for the confusion, I'll go stand in the corner with the stupid hat on.:cheers:

I think i will join you. :lol:

Chippy_Tea said:
Thanks Bob, so if the WOW has RGJ or WGJ and no citric fruit juice you should always add tartaric acid or do i need to go back to making kits cos they are easy. :lol:

In terms of providing enough acid for a good ferment, I don't think it makes any difference which acid you use.

The difference is purely in terms of flavour.

Thanks Tim, I will get some tartaric acid as all my wines will have either WGJ or RGJ in them.
I know not to use it in the orange WOW as it has plenty of acid already. .

The whole acid flavour thing is something I learned from years of making jams & chutneys. It was only last year I found out how big a difference it can make though. My parents had no bramleys from their tree, so when we made bramble jelly last November we tried using extra lemon to compensate for using eating apples, since they're lower in acid. It didn't work: to get the right flavour right for bramble jelly you really need malic acid, rather than citric or tartaric. You'd think it wouldn't be an issue since blackberries are also very high in malic acid, and last year's blackberries were the best kind for making bramble jelly - small, sweet and tart - but the extra lemon flavour really didn't work.

I might try making a batch with malic acid this autumn to find out if that tastes better than the usual recipe.

Tonight i tasted my first ever apple WOW (i have only made the original WOW so far) i am impressed, i like it more than the original WOW and don't think i will be sweetening this one even though i like a medium sweet wine, I was expecting it to be a little tasteless as i only used 1 litre apple and 1 litre WGJ but it is fine, i will definitely be starting another soon.

Here is one of my favorites:
EX001 Exotic Pineapple
16/9/12 Recipe Volume 25 lt

Grape Juice
Aldi White Grape Juice lt 5

Fruit Juice
Aldi Exotic lt 1
Aldi Pineapple lt 1
Aldi Apple Juice lt 2
Aldi Grapefruit lt 1

Dried Fruit/Flowers
Sultanas 200g