Liquorice ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intelekt

Regular.
Reaction score
I know you'll all run to the hills and avoid this post like the plague :rofl:

BUT! I'm finding myself fancying a liquorice brew :shock:

I've searched the forums and I can only seem to find liquorice threads for beers, and all other posts don't have a recipe at the end.
I want a liqourice cider or wine :party:

Do any recipes actually exist for these? Has someone ever tried and most importantly liked a liquorice recipe? Or can someone post a link?

What would I use? Liquorice root or extract, or maybe even a bag of liquorice sweets chopped up.. :hmm:

Intelekt said:
What would I use? Liquorice root or extract, or maybe even a bag of liquorice sweets chopped up.. :hmm:

I'd used liquorice root, chopped up into half-inch lengths to get the most flavour out.

It sounds interesting - do tell us how it turns out!

Tim_Crowhurst said:
Intelekt said:

I'd used liquorice root, chopped up into half-inch lengths to get the most flavour out.

:hmm: I'm thinking I might need a flavour to go between the apple and the liquorice in the cider, but what?

I suppose I could just add chopped up liquorice root to the DJ and brew it with that in there :hmm:

Just some ideas bouncing around my head at the mo, but I will keep you informed :thumb:

Intelekt said:
Tim_Crowhurst said:
Intelekt said:

:hmm: I'm thinking I might need a flavour to go between the apple and the liquorice in the cider, but what?

Star anise should work. The flavour is similar to liquorice, but there's a sweetness that should pair well with the apple.

I always liked liquorice and blackcurrant. That's the angle I would probably go fo :)

ScottM said:
I always liked liquorice and blackcurrant. That's the angle I would probably go fo :)

Oh man, yet another idea to think about now :party:
Black currant and liquorice wine... = YUM !!!!!

A blackcurrant and liquorice TC should be quite easy. Use the Lowicz blackcurrant syrup for the main flavouring in the primary, and then use liquorice root in the secondary as it matures. That way you can more easily control the strength of liquorice coming through in the end result.

Back