Porter which chocolate, which chocolate?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Equinox101

Reaction score
So I'm going to do a slight tweak I did on a porter some months ago.

4.31kg pale ale
425g crystal
380g torrified wheat
240g roasted barley

Target 21g 90mins
Progress 8g 45mins
Protofloc 1tsp 15mins
Golding 15g 10mins

And I'm looking to add a chocolate flavour to the beer. (V3 I want to add coffee to turn it to a chocolate coffee porter).
What would the suggestion be for cacao to add and for how much and how long from the end of boil? I just want it to add extra depth to the brew.

Have a look at Eskibrews chocolate stout here. He used Bournville cocoa I think. I have heard that Cocoa Knibs are the DB's though. Aleman 'Dry hopped' ( if that is the correct term) his oatmeal stout with cocoa nibs. See here.

Hope that helps

:thumb:

I've gone through the recipes and I've gone for a tub of bournville and also a green & blacks. Not sure which I'll use in the morning yet but thinking ill go with around 100g 10 mins from end of boil.

Just noticed I posted this in the wrong forum! My fault for flipping between my next AG thoughts and moleys fruit tea bags hippy juice thread (which I'm also going to do at the weekend) feel free to move over to beer discussions.

IMO Bournville can be harsh compared to G&B. My guess is that the G&B is more heavily dutched, so if you're after a smooth finish the G&B might be better.

Yeah with it being a porter I think you might be right going with the green and blacks, didn't get it on as early as I hoped, overslept!

Back