Orange Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBrewer

Reaction score
This one isn't finished yet but its very promising so far :D

10 oranges
1kg sugar
1 litre carton cheap orange juice
1tspn yeast
1/2 - 1 tspn nutrient

Zest all 10 oranges as much as possible (avoid the white pith), then juice the oranges.

Put juice to 1 side then stick zest, sugar & 3 litres of water into a large pan & bring to boil.

When this reaches boiling point add squeezed juice & the carton of juice. Bring back to boil then take off heat.

When this mixture becomes lukewarm transfer to DJ, add yeast & nutrient then shake gently. Stick an airlock in & leave for 14 days but gently agitate every couple of days.

After 2 weeks siphon through muslin into another DJ & leave untouched for 10-14 days then bottle.

This should be ready to drink right after bottling. I made this with 1.5kg sugar but think 1kg be more than enough. I strained into 2nd DJ today, sample was at 13% & tasted like a strong vodka & orange.

i dont drink wine ...
but i think this one might be worth a go it sounds lush.. :thumb: .

regards mick... :hat: .

Mick May said:
i dont drink wine ...
but i think this one might be worth a go sounds lush.. :thumb: .

Hi Mick

It really is looking very promising mate, start it in a coolish spot though, the initial fermentation was rather spectacular for me :doh: that's why I recommend 1kg sugar

BooBrewer said:
Mick May said:
i dont drink wine ...
but i think this one might be worth a go sounds lush.. :thumb: .

Hi Mick

It really is looking very promising mate, start it in a coolish spot though, the initial fermentation was rather spectacular for me :doh: that's why I recommend 1kg sugar

ill give this a go i like the sound of it ...fingers x i dont mess it up ...
but iv only got one dj...

so im wondering if i could start it off in a 23ltr plastic fv ...
then syphone it to the dj after the 14 days ???

You could buy a 5 litre bottle of spring water, use most of the water for the brew then you can rack into the plastic bottle clean the glass DJ and rack back into it for finishing.
If you drill a 9 mm hole in the lid it will take an airlock so you could fininsh it in the plastic bottle freeing the DJ up for another brew. :thumb:

If you are interested in making cheap wine have a look at this thread -
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

Pics from Moleys WOW guide in the forum -

PB10090701.jpg

If using a water bottle, just drill a 9mm hole (or thereabouts) through the cap and into a block of wood. If you’ve got a neat way of cutting a big hole for a bung, so much the better.

PB10091006.jpg

Chippy_Tea said:
You could buy a 5 litre bottle of spring water, use most of the water for the brew then you can rack into the plastic bottle clean the glass DJ and rack back into it for finishing.
If you drill a 9 mm hole in the lid it will take an airlock so you could fininsh it in the plastic bottle freeing the DJ up for another brew. :thumb:

If you are interested in making cheap wine have a look at this thread -
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

Pics from Moleys WOW guide in the forum -

PB10090701.jpg

If using a water bottle, just drill a 9mm hole (or thereabouts) through the cap and into a block of wood. If you’ve got a neat way of cutting a big hole for a bung, so much the better.

PB10091006.jpg

thanks Chippy Tea.... :thumb:
thats a great idea.. :clap: .

ok so i did this one today...

heres the pics ...

i started by taking the zest off the oranges...

002_zpsf030dd0f.jpg

001_zpsbb55ef77.jpg

i added it to the sugar and 3 ltrs of water ...
then got it to the boil...

004_zpsd47a6b1f.jpg

003_zps730abda6.jpg

then i juiced the oranges added that and the 1ltr of oj to the pot...
got it boiling again then let it cool ....
so i put it in the plastic bottle pitched the yeast

and took my first reading it was 1.080..heres more pics ...

005_zps9ee5719b.jpg

006_zpsd96340f8.jpg

008_zps6c8b9d50.jpg

007_zps1f558c89.jpg

009_zps770106a2.jpg

010_zpsc21bec4d.jpg

011_zpscdbdf96b.jpg

013_zpsebeae8fb.jpg

o yes i put the hole in the cap and then fitted my air lock ...
by the way i also added 1 teaspoon of wine tannin ...
and 1 teaspoon of pectolase...
both were youngs...
i no they wasnt called for in this recipe but i thought they would help...

also 2moro im getting some ASDA Glycerine and ill add 1 teaspoon of that as well...

just 4hrs later its bubbling away very well ...

well this is how it looks about 10hrs in ...

001_zps3d01a58d.jpg

i dont no if iv messed it up by adding the tannin and the pectolase but it seams to have stopped bubbling ... :wha: .

Chippy_Tea said:
What's in the bucket?

How warm or cold is the room?
theres nothing in the bucket its jus put in there incase it goes over the top when fermenting ...

the room is 21c ...

If it's still not bubbling check for air leaks by squeezing the bottle slightly until the water gets to the top of one of the bubbles in the airlock, stop squeezing but keep the pressure on, if the water returns slowly to where it was before you started to squeeze you have an air leak.

Chippy_Tea said:
If it's still not bubbling check for air leaks by squeezing the bottle slightly until the water gets to the top of one of the bubbles in the airlock, stop squeezing but keep the pressure on, if the water returns slowly to where it was before you started to squeeze you have an air leak.

ok i just done that ...no leaks ..
and im not going to put the Glycerine in now i changed my mind ...

iv just changed the cap for a new one....
and gave it a good shake...
then put the air lock cap back on ...
fingers x its ok ....

it looks ok i suppose ...
well its bubbling anyway ...
but still got that scum on the top ???

The scum on the top is normal and a couple of days in it will look like a lava lamp, click on the picture below to view this effect.

thanks for that....
if mine done that without seeing this...
i would have chucked it for sure ....

now i no its part of it i m looking farword to it .. :) .

regards mick... :hat: ..

Bottled this last night, fairly pleased with the result came in at a touch over 12.5%. Drinkable now, nice & zesty but if it mellows a bit over time could be a little cracker.

Going to stash a bottle away to make bucks fizz with on Xmas Day, that should keep the MIL quiet for at least half the day :lol:

BooBrewer said:
Bottled this last night, fairly pleased with the result came in at a touch over 12.5%. Drinkable now, nice & zesty but if it mellows a bit over time could be a little cracker.

Going to stash a bottle away to make bucks fizz with on Xmas Day, that should keep the MIL quiet for at least half the day :lol:

sounds great.... :thumb: .
im glad it came out well ...

do you have to put sweetners in it before bottling for taste ...

also is it like beer as in needing to prime the bottles ...

sorry if im being thick but this is my first batch of wine ....

If you are priming then you will have to put it in champagne bottles with appropriate wires and corks or beer bottles. but also remember that champagne bottles are thick than lesser 'sparkling wines' which have not been bottle conditioned and may not be able to hold as higher pressure which you will experience in bottle conditioned wine. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back