when to add auxiliary finings and isinglass finings?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Possy92

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I've brewed 4 beers up until now, and they've all been a varying degree of success;

The first came out at 2% due to equipment errors
The second was doubly concentrated in bitterness - not for the faint hearted
The third was a cloudy and quite frankly horrible tasting pumpkin beer
The fourth was also cloudy and infected bitter

So I've learnt a lot from each brew, namley sterilisation is key! So I've invested in brewing cleaning products. And for the current brew in fv1, I've invested in auxiliary finings

So my question is: I have a 2.5 gallon batch wjich should be finished tomorrow, when do I add the auxiliary finings? And how long after can I add the isinglass finings?

Thank you for your time

Andy

you'd add auxiliary when fermentation is over and isinglass 24 hours later - check the amounts to use, it wont be a lot of auxiliary for 2.5 gallons and this would also reduce the amount of isinglass that you would use. There are factors that would determine how much of each but by default I would imagine 25cl of auxiliary and 25cl of isinglass.

You could try isinglass on its own at 50cl although auxiliaries do speed things up

adomant said:
you'd add auxiliary when fermentation is over and isinglass 24 hours later - check the amounts to use, it wont be a lot of auxiliary for 2.5 gallons and this would also reduce the amount of isinglass that you would use. There are factors that would determine how much of each but by default I would imagine 25cl of auxiliary and 25cl of isinglass.

You could try isinglass on its own at 50cl although auxiliaries do speed things up

You mean millilitres not centilitres surely?

I currently add approx 150ml of isinglass to a 9gall firkin.

I will have to check the auxiliary finings amount when I get home but seem to recall it being around the 125ml quantity.

Aux added direct to FV as I begin to crash cool.

I add isinglass when I rack to cask unless the cask will be maturing longer than 4 - 5 weeks. In that case I pop the keystone a week before I plan to move and tap the cask and add the isinglass then giving it a really good mix.

When you rack to cask : Isinglass in first then run the beer on top to thoroughly mix.

Latest posts

Back