Getting harder to find grape juice in supermarkets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindsay

Reaction score
Hi

Is anybody else finding it hard to find white or red grape juice to make WOW.
My local supermarkets are Aldi and Sainsbury and they have not had any for months.
I was wondering if I could use the red and white grape concentrate that you can get from Wilkinson's as a substitute? If the answer is yes how much would I need to make a 5 litre batch of WOW?

Cheers

Lindsay

lindsay said:
I was wondering if I could use the red and white grape concentrate that you can get from Wilkinson's as a substitute?

Yes. One 250ml bottle (or 245g can) should contain about 150g of sugar, +/- 25g, which would make it equivalent to a 1L carton of grape juice.

I dunno if it helps but I find my local ASDA's always have white grape juice. Red I can find almost anywhere here, you could try your local and bulk buy.

Tim_Crowhurst said:
lindsay said:
I was wondering if I could use the red and white grape concentrate that you can get from Wilkinson's as a substitute?
Yes. One 250ml bottle (or 245g can) should contain about 150g of sugar, +/- 25g, which would make it equivalent to a 1L carton of grape juice.
And it should result in a better wine because it's pressed from mostly wine grapes whereas the supermarket juices are pressed from dessert grapes.

Damned expensive way of making a WOW though, and my local Aldi have plenty of grape juices, red and white.

Saw some red and white in Lidl today - whilst checking apple juice prices for TC and collecting some Wilko bargains.

Dave

We do our monthly shop at tesco and recently found getting grape juice hit and miss, I emailed their head office and asked why, they told me they could not understand why some branches had it but others didn't and they would enquire, a couple of days later they got in touch and said they had spoken to the manager at our local branch and made him aware of the situation, there is now always a good stock.
Send them an email it might just do the trick.

ASDA always have it. Usually 5 for £4 :thumb:

Aldi's seem to have stopped stocking WGJ but always have RGJ :cheers:

Wilko are usually cheapest for concentrate, but as stated previously it is around two and half times the price of WGJ. Not worth it in IMHO

Aldi's seem to have stopped stocking WGJ but always have RGJ

Is that rose grape juice? I've made a wow with that and it was nice but again Tesco are a bit hit and miss with stocks so i usually order the WGJ which comes in 1.5 litre cartons.

I bought some yesterday for the first time in a while, and noticed tesco only have rgj and wgj in 1.5l cartons now.

danb said:
I bought some yesterday for the first time in a while, and noticed tesco only have rgj and wgj in 1.5l cartons now.

We can only get it in 1.5 litre cartons so i buy two and put 3 DJ's on at a time. :thumb:

I only put a DJ on every other month or so to keep a small rotation going. I don't drink wine so they are just for my mum and grandad to drink occasionally. I had noticed aldi still have 1l cartons though.

I couldn't find grape juice in my local Tesco yesterday and found it had been moved to the chillers. It was cheaper by fifty pence per litre to buy pure pressed juice than juice from concentrate :wha: .

I struggle to find RGJ in Edinburgh and in Tesco today they only had WGJ in 1.5L cartons. They do Welchs purple grape juice but I'm sure I tasted this in the US many years ago and it was vile but maybe I'm mistaken. I haven't read of anyone using it. I'll check Costco next time I'm in but I don't think they do it either.

I highly recommend getting grape juice from Morrison's - they have a 5 for £4 on their 1 litre fruit juices or £1 each.

I've made a few batches of WOW from the multiple flavours they have. Yeah they're all from concentrate but the ingredients don't list preservatives etc... and I've had no bad batches with them.

They do have white grape and red grape cartons.

They also have cranberry, blueberry and pomegranate flavours, which are ridiculously expensive if you buy them fresh/not from concentrate.

Thanks for the tips, I've been looking for WGJ to start my first WOW and have struggled! Nothing in M&S, Waitrose, 2 TESCO, and a Sainsbury's. I even considered ordering bulk online! Ha ha ha.

I'll pop into Morrisons or Aldi next time I'm passing.

Asda have wgj in warm section, rgj in cold and warm.

Latest posts

Back