Westvleteren 12!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilByford

Reaction score
For those in the know...I need not say any more!!!

For those who are not aware it is quite simply the holy grail of all beers and an extremely rare and expensive find.

As described on it's own devoted website (http://www.westvleteren12.com/)

..."Westie 12 is a Belgian Trappist Ale that has consistently been voted the single best tasting beer in the world. All major beer rating sites agree that this is the pinnacle of beers, including: Beer Advocate, Rate Beer and Beer Pal."

It is still quite young, so am going to store until Christmas before I crack open. Thought i'd post to see how many other members have had the privilege of sampling before?

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Not wishing to sound big headed on my second post but I hope you don't mind me saying that I've been drinking this for 21 years now! I remember my first trip to the brewery and the Brother was reluctant to sell us a crate as he didn't think we'd return the empties. I said if the beer is as good as it's reputed to be we'd definitely be back. The next year I bought 6 crates. That was before it was voted best beer in the world and supplies became strictly limited and very difficult to get hold of.

Almost 3 years ago I bought 2 crates and I still have 20 bottles left as my taste has changed over the years. I much prefer the big hoppy IPA's to the thick malty Belgian beers I once craved. The longer you can resist trying this majestic beer the better it will be within reason. Last Christmas I shared a bottle from 1993 with my brothers from our first visit. It was past its best but still drinkable.

Westie1.jpg

Westie2.jpg

Wow! That is a lot of westie!

Of course I could tell you that if you were allowed to sell any then your stash could be worth a lot of money! Even the empty bottles and beer caps seem to sell. Now the big question is, are the cobwebs St Sixtus, if so they'll fetch well on ebay, lol.

Yes, I've seen them on sale for a ridiculous £25. Even my home-brew isn't worth that!

I thought about swapping some of them as I strictly abide by the rules set when buying from the monastery not to sell on but I might just mix them with my home-brew. :-o You've given me an idea about the cobwebs though...

Westy3.jpg

Westy4.jpg

I would love to have this beer in my repertoire. This is one of my all time gotta try, along with pliny the elder. Interested in trading, i am your man

I had one this week and it was beautiful. I'd be happy to trade a bottle or two although postage could be a problem. I'm in Northampton with family in Hertfordshire and I occasionally visit Brum.

I'm down south. In Kent. What would you want in return. I can sort you out a 1970s bottle of Adnams Tally Ho. Not sure how good it will be and it may not have been stored very well. But definitely an interesting bottle to have. Obviously I would send it to you all packaged safely

I've had a counple of crates of 12 and have some 8s at the moment. Not a big fan. They're good but I'd rather have a Rochefort any day. Overhyped by the Americans in my view. The blond was very decent in de vrede cafe. Maybe I should try to keep them for longer and they will improve.

Definitely sought after but I think that's the exclusivity. If they were in every Belgian supermarket they probably wouldn't be considered the 'best beer in the world'.

Might have one from the shed today and think about it.

I'm down south. In Kent. What would you want in return. I can sort you out a 1970s bottle of Adnams Tally Ho. Not sure how good it will be and it may not have been stored very well. But definitely an interesting bottle to have. Obviously I would send it to you all packaged safely

Adnam's Tally ho is a nice beer but I'd prefer something I can drink as I don't really collect beers other than for ageing. I'd be interested in something of around the same strength as the Abt from a craft brewery, Magic Rock, BrewDog, Kernel etc. or any of the big American IPA's or stouts.

Apologies but I don't really want to go through the hassle and cost of posting but I might be travelling through Kent in December on the way to Belgium. In fact the Westvleteren brewery is only an hour from the tunnel or closer from Dunkerque where they sell them in the Inn de Vrede if you can't get them from the brewery. I went to France earlier this month and got a return trip on the tunnel for £4 using Tesco vouchers!

I've had a counple of crates of 12 and have some 8s at the moment. Not a big fan. They're good but I'd rather have a Rochefort any day. Overhyped by the Americans in my view. The blond was very decent in de vrede cafe. Maybe I should try to keep them for longer and they will improve.

I wouldn't think of drinking the Abt until it was at least a year old and preferably 3 or more otherwise they taste of candy sugar. I don't go for the 8 and the blonde is variable, sometimes it's delicious and sometimes it can be very coarse. Not a big fan of Rochefort myself but I do like the St Bernardus Abt 12 when aged.

I'll keep the 8s for guests but I prefer it to the 12. My taste has changed over the years and it's all about big hop flavour and aroma too. That's the beauty of beer. So many styles and everyone has their favourite. That's why it's surely impossible to describe one as the best beer in the world. I tried a couple of tesco revisionist beers yesterday in the end. Very good indeed.

Latest posts

Back