Yeast questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its my go to book before brewing a new style or just want to get an understanding of what it takes to get those flavors and balance. 2015 I am going to focus on competition beer so this is critical.

Was in the LHBS the other day and a guy was bottling a saison. I thought to myself I'd like to start trying new beers like saison. I think a book like this would help me brew them correctly.

Ok chaps, another yeast question which I'll post here instead of starting a new thread.
Simply this: when batch priming, is it safe to add the hot sugar water to the wort or will this damage the yeast? Do we need to let it cool down?
I know it will cool pretty quick in the bottom of the bottling bucket but I was half way through filling it when I realised I'd forgotten the sugar.:doh:

It's never caused me any probs but I have started putting the pan I make the sugar solution with into a little cold water in the sink to cool it down a tad!

Ok, back again:
Sometimes I get the yeast sediment from the bottle bottoms in the poured beer, it can be almost opaque.. Is it ok to drink or can it cause belly-ache etc?

It's good for ya!

http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/sh...-natural-brewers-yeast-tablets-500mg-60000743

"Brewer's yeast is a tiny organism made from the one-celled fungus Saccharomyces cerevisiae. It can be used to make beer as well as nutritional supplements. Brewer's yeast is often used to naturally provide B vitamins, chromium and selenium in varying quantities."

This is just another excuse for me to drink more beer. :party: Wonder if hops count as one of your five a day?

After I poured a beer earlier, I poured a bit of water into the the wee be of yeast clinging to the bottom of the bottle, sluiced it around, poured it into a glass and drank it. I was expecting it to taste 'yeasty' but it didn't really taste of anything Definately a better way to get those B vitamins than eating marmite :sick:

Yep, hops are really good for you too...

http://www.medicalhealthguide.com/herb/hops.htm

"Hops has been traditionally used for variety of health benefits that lately has been confirmed through research. Among these health benefits from hops include relaxation and sleep inducer, anti-inflammatory effect, estrogenic effect, antioxidant activity and as an anti tumor properties."

"...health benefits from hops include relaxation and sleep inducer, anti-inflammatory effect, estrogenic effect???

Are we all going to enjoy shopping and lose our ability to read maps? :wha:

Latest posts

Back