Glass bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevjohno

Reaction score
Does anyone have or know where is best to look for 500ml or 568ml glass bottles? Not looking to pay over the odds online so any help would be much appreciated guys. Thanks.

If you didn't live so far away I'd happily let you have mine!

Your local pub is a good bet-they often get charged for trade glass recycling so you offering to take a box of bottles off of their hands will be gratefully received. I find it never hurts to have a pint in there, too.

As for types of bottles: most people on here find that Hobgoblin bottles are a little fiddly to get the crown caps onto. Try to use primarily brown glass rather than clear so that you don't have to worry about your beer being exposed to direct sunlight (I have a few Wilko clear glass ones just to check for clarity.)

That's it, essentially. I usually have a cola/sprite bottle (330ml) which I use to check carbonation for the batch, too.

Does anyone have or know where is best to look for 500ml or 568ml glass bottles? Not looking to pay over the odds online so any help would be much appreciated guys. Thanks.

Hi mate,
I bought mine from a guy in Prescot, so not too far away from you.
He's a really nice bloke, sells from his house and online. Prices are really reasonable and a good range of bottles, jars, growlers, etc.
Here's the link to his web site:
http://www.sen5es.co.uk/#!500ml-brown-beer-/cgn8
What are you thinking of brewing?

If you didn't live so far away I'd happily let you have mine!

Your local pub is a good bet-they often get charged for trade glass recycling so you offering to take a box of bottles off of their hands will be gratefully received. I find it never hurts to have a pint in there, too.

As for types of bottles: most people on here find that Hobgoblin bottles are a little fiddly to get the crown caps onto. Try to use primarily brown glass rather than clear so that you don't have to worry about your beer being exposed to direct sunlight (I have a few Wilko clear glass ones just to check for clarity.)

That's it, essentially. I usually have a cola/sprite bottle (330ml) which I use to check carbonation for the batch, too.

Cheers Joey, funnily enough there is a pub at the top of my street so I may give them a quick call to see if they have any going spare, I didn't know they got charged to recycle the glass.
I have bought crown caps and got a capper for xmas off the Mrs so thanks for the tip on that one.
I did read somewhere that it was best to have a clear glass or bottle to check the clarity so I have one bottle for that at least. Cheers :cheers:

Hi mate,
I bought mine from a guy in Prescot, so not too far away from you.
He's a really nice bloke, sells from his house and online. Prices are really reasonable and a good range of bottles, jars, growlers, etc.
Here's the link to his web site:
http://www.sen5es.co.uk/#!500ml-brown-beer-/cgn8
What are you thinking of brewing?

Hi fella, yeah prescot isn't too far away so I will have a look at the site in a sec. At first I have the beer kit I got with the Youngs starter kit then I have a Coopers bitter from Wikos which I'm looking forward to getting started :drink:

if you can't scratch enough together from pubs etc, "bristol bottle company" on ebay sell at decent price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271222053634

i bought 50 from them for £25.50 - they are excellent bottles. I will then add to them with my own empties and asking friends/family to save empties for me (if I give em the odd bottle of my home brewed efforts!)

if you can't scratch enough together from pubs etc, "bristol bottle company" on ebay sell at decent price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271222053634

i bought 50 from them for £25.50 - they are excellent bottles. I will then add to them with my own empties and asking friends/family to save empties for me (if I give em the odd bottle of my home brewed efforts!)

Cherrs mate just had a look on ebay and they seem pretty good for the price, would you say it's worth looking around for any cheaper ones?

they seemed to be well reviewed/regarded. and I was able to get delivered to local Argos, to save having to wait around for the postman. and price wise seems competitive.

so it worked out well for me. also gave me a base of identical bottles, that did not need lots of scrubbing, label removal and all that jazz. i'd buy again if I needed to.

nice one, thanks for the heads up. I think it's worth biting the bullet and getting them now and least any extras I get elsewhere will help out for my next batch :thumb:

I earned my bottles doing research and development. Check the labels before you buy - the paper ones come off when you soak them and some with platic labels are really hard to de-glue (I use label remover from maplins). And avoid wychwood if you can.

I also got mine from the guy in Prescott, although I picked them up from his storage place in Widnes - they were 30p each for collection (without caps, but I bought 250 caps too) - bottles seem great and his communication is good.

just got 50 from the Bristol bottle co on ebay, not too badly priced and at least it gets me started whilst I get more from family/friends! :drunk:

Back