New old kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the advise.
I got delayed yesterday as I went to the pub. Well 4 pubs....
so I didn't get to start.
I found a brew shop near to me so tomorrow I'll get the brewing sugar and use it and the 500g spray malt together. I'll also get the lager yeast. I'm not going to bother with the lime, maybe next time or maybe a squeeze when I bottle???
I'm not sure how to get a constant temp in my house or shed??? Maybe under the stairs. ..
tonight I will sterilise all hardware a I'll begin my 1st cook tomorrow. Sorry for the Breaking Bad ref but maybe I could eventually become rich doing this....ha ha..

You could boil the zest of one lime with your priming sugar when you bottle or keg the beer. :thumb:

Ok
I have mixed 500g spray malt with 800g brewing sugar. 3.5l boiling water mixed ant filled to 23l cold water and added yeast. My hydrometer reads 0.042 which I think is between 4.8% and 5.2%..perfect.
My first storage location is 18 degs, I'll leave there 4_6 days or stops bubbling then mix in my remaining 200k brewing sugar and bottle. Move to a warmer place for 2 days then back to cool for 14 days.
I hope it's tasty. Any thoughts. ...

The foam on the top has gone. Before I put the lid on......

18 degrees is great. 4-6 days is not enough, you want 2 weeks. 200g sugar is too much for carbonation. You want 80-100g, and if you mix it in the fermenter you wil mix all the yeast into the beer. Siphon to another bucket and mix the sugar (dissolved in boiled water) in there. 2 days warm is not enough to carbonate it, you want to leave it two weeks.

2 weeks FV - 2 weeks warm in bottles with 100g sugar - 2 weeks cold

Ok.
that sound good.
6 weeks to wait though. ..
I better get some beers for the wait. ..

You can start tasting the beer after the first 4 weeks if you put it in the fridge for a few hours but it will benefit from longer. It's a kit beer, you don't want to be rushing it down your neck, they hit their peak after about 3 months generally speaking.

Bit concerned...
The stick on thermometer is reading 22 degs.
is that ok? ???

It's a bit high, better a bit lower. Can you get it down to 20? Cooler place? Water bath?

For 5% you could try 1kg Beer Enhancer and 200g of honey, that should be somewhere near the 5% mark. For a dash of lime you could try some lime extract when boiling the wort to dissolve the Beer Enhancer. I've never used a citrus extract before so I have no idea about the amounts but 1/4 or 1/2 half the bottle over 23L can't do too much harm. I have brewed with lime but I used sun dried lime in the boil with my hops and I try my first one on Friday, here's what I did:

Youngs Harvest Lager
Brewed 23L 09/05/15 - 23/05/15 21c
2 x kit yeast + 1tsp Yeast Nutrient
1kg Youngs BE and 454g Lyons Golden Syrup.
10g of perle hops and 10g of sundried lime, ten minute boil and then tea and bag added to FV
OG:1052 - FG:1010 - 5.9% (?)

Brewed this last Saturday 09/05/15, I pitched the yeast at 23c and it kicked off very nicely. I tested the SG today a week after it went in and it's dropped to 1012 which I'm very pleased about. It's still cloudy in the test jar but the the hops and the lime are there to taste. I'll give it until next week when I'll bottle it with a 1tsp of sugar per 500ml bottle.

Bit Concerned...
I have found a cooler place and its been in there 2 days but i just had a quick look and there's no foam, its a much lighter colour????

Bit Concerned...
I have found a cooler place and its been in there 2 days but i just had a quick look and there's no foam, its a much lighter colour????

You speaking of signs of fermentation I am guessing? Have you have any kind of a foam head after a day or so.. is there a ring of scum around the top just about the beer.

Lighter colour sounds fine because it will change as things are consumed in the beer and the sugars are converted to alcohol (which is a bi product of the yeast)

Yes.
I started the brew on the 3rd am.
there was an inch of foam until i checked this morning.
there is ring of scum an inch above the liquid level.....

Sounds pretty normal, on Kit brews my Krausen (the blotchy brown foamy head you see) only ever used to last a few days then clear off.. and Krausens themself are a law to their own.

Sounds like things are progressing okay so just leave it for now :wink:

I have scored my bottles free from a pub. Huzzah.
I'm picking up Thursday so the brew will be 16 days in the FV at 18ish degrees.

Ok.
The brew has been 18ish degrees for 16 days.
My bottles are in the dishwasher and will be sterilised. I have a 2nd large sterilised bucket which I will mix 100g of brewing sugar and a pint of hot water Then syphon the brew into, mix then bottle and cap then back into 18ish degrees for 2 weeks.
bit concerned. The hydrometer reads 1.006..
and I haven't used findings liquid. The brew looks dark toffee but smells sweet.
R

Have you chucked the Youngs Kit? The tins last forever, I once did on that was about 4 years out of date, But I did replace the yeast, which is the bit which tends to go off....Not that I could recommend you do that.....however it is a risk I have taken....not that you should......but......

Latest posts

Back