King Keg Drama

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
My first ever brew was happily sat in my King Keg undergoing conditioning when I decided to just have a wee taster to see 'how things are going'.
I noticed a small amount of leakage from the tap, not worried in the slightest I said to myself, leaking at a rate of a drop a day or something, nothing to be concerned about.
I turned the tap very slowly as I've heard about the foam ejected from the very first pour, nothing. Turned it a little more, still nothing. Turned it to roughly 110 degrees and BOOM! An Ibiza foam party in my spare room and the tap started leaking furiously. I stayed calm and assessed the situation...
Fortunately I had just had a shower (I'm a gardener, so I'm glad I had) as I had to plunge my arm up to the elbow into the keg full of beer to grasp the nut on the inside of the tap and wrench it up hard to seal the keg!
Now, being new to homebrewing, I am paranoid about infection and have been meticulously clean at every stage of the game so far. It will be interesting to see if it stays good after this!

On the plus side, thats some nice beer, its only the free grain pack that came with the set up I bought - a London Bitter pack - but blimey, not bad for a first attempt, and if it stays drinkable after a hairy gardeners arm has invaded its privacy I'll be happy.
You never know, I might have inadvertantly discover some advanced technique to replace dry hopping. I'll keep you posted....

Oh, and any King Keg experience passed on here would be marvelous! ;-)

Well what is done is done :wink:

Welcome to the world of plastic barrels. Looks like the build up of pressure was sealing the tap.

Hope brew turns out well.

Latest posts

Back