Any hobbies besides beer making/ drinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlentoranMark

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've quite a few.

I love Astronomy with a passion, have a small scope but I'm more of an armchair fan. I read/ listen/ watch as much as I can about the subject. Even bigger nerd, I've a A+ O level in the subject :D

Poker - I'm passionate about the game. I've been playing 12 years, never had a losing year and played in several major live tournaments all paid for by online profits. I make decent pocket money from the game, took my wife to Prague and Majorca recently with online profits. For such a deceptively easy game to learn there are more layers than an onion skin. I'm by no means the best but I work very hard on my game - the more I know, the luckier I get :)

Glentoran FC. This is my local team. I grew up next to their ground and I've followed them since a child. We have an average crowd of 1,000 but I'd rather be watching them than watching the English Premiership. Another plus of playing in a small league is we get in to Europe. This year we played MSK Zilina from Slovakia and I made the trip - paid for with poker winnings :D

Programming, although I'm hopeless at it. Trying to learn Android/ Java as I've a few ideas that would work on the platform. I'm struggling with Android Studio but I'll get there some day.

Couple of other things that takes my interests but those are my main ones. I watch very little TV.

I don't know quite where to draw the line between hobby, passion and job, I never have.

I am an accomplished cornet and trumpet player mainly trumpet these days because I prefer the repertoire although I have sat on the front row of a few Brass Bands and from that I teach 5 kids and run two small ensembles for youngsters.

In days gone I was a pro artist until things crashed for me

Sorry I stuck one in twice (and deleted it sorry)

There's a few of my pieces for a quick look. I would be interested in what folks thought

Cheers

A

I've quite a few.

I love Astronomy with a passion, have a small scope but I'm more of an armchair fan. I read/ listen/ watch as much as I can about the subject. Even bigger nerd, I've a A+ O level in the subject :D

Poker - I'm passionate about the game. I've been playing 12 years, never had a losing year and played in several major live tournaments all paid for by online profits. I make decent pocket money from the game, took my wife to Prague and Majorca recently with online profits. For such a deceptively easy game to learn there are more layers than an onion skin. I'm by no means the best but I work very hard on my game - the more I know, the luckier I get :)

Glentoran FC. This is my local team. I grew up next to their ground and I've followed them since a child. We have an average crowd of 1,000 but I'd rather be watching them than watching the English Premiership. Another plus of playing in a small league is we get in to Europe. This year we played MSK Zilina from Slovakia and I made the trip - paid for with poker winnings :D

Programming, although I'm hopeless at it. Trying to learn Android/ Java as I've a few ideas that would work on the platform. I'm struggling with Android Studio but I'll get there some day.

Couple of other things that takes my interests but those are my main ones. I watch very little TV.

Good thread Mark and interesting to read of your other interests.
I love to fish for fish I can eat. That means trout, salmon, pollack and mackerel here on Skye.
I also ride a motorcycle and like wild camping, often combining all of these....
Bradford City are 'my team', but these days i am beginning to despise football
for all it's vulgarity at the 'top level '.

Cornyandy I love the 'ship-wreck in a storm' picture best out of those, you're a very good artist. I love to make things with my hands especially for our village show in the arts/crafts section, in fact I'm very competitive all round and enter as many comps as I can. I've won amongst other things a £1,000 shopping spree in London with Victoria Beckhams personal shopper and Kylie's make-up artist allegedly ! A Tempur memory foam double mattress (they don't come cheap either) , an invite to a star-studded charity 5-course dinner where we met loads of soap stars and Paul Burrell, plus various other stuff such as TV 's and cases of wine. I also enjoy plenty of short breaks at our static caravan where we have chance to relax with a nice glass of wine.:drunk:

Thanks Sue "Shipwreck" as you have named it is actually "Solway Storm 2" The uprights are mooring posts. I was channelling my inner Turner. It is based on a number of sketches on the Solway Firth and of the four "Solway Storms" I have done so far it is my favourite too. I have a similar thing of Hawnby Hill too but it is a little too contrived so it is consigned to my canvas store for reworking. What I would really like to do is get something of Rievaulx with the same sense of atmosphere.

there's more to life than brewing and drinking??

on a serious note i love to read though i go through phases where i read numerous books a month then stop...can get so caught up in a book i cant put it down..has got me in trouble on more than one occasion.

bought a kindle vision a few months ago and its got me started again...

'there's more to life than brewing and drinking??'

I think there is a fine line between hobby and obsession. Right now I think I'm moving from the first to the second - 'hobsession' maybe?!

I am in no doubt about it being an obsession....

I've quite a few.

Sounds fantastic! Can see jack sh*t in London because of all the light polution - Closest thing I can see to any Astonomy is the Shard. Looks like what The Empire would build if they ever got into building sky scrapers

Cornyandy you are an incredible artist; definitely a touch of Turner there (
The Fighting Temeraire is a favourite of mine.)
To throw my hat in: I've always been into rugby and am coaching my school's team this season-I should add that I teach there and am not an underage brewer! I also sing and play the ukulele. In terms of artistic stuff I am a writer and have several poems and short stories that I'm about to have a tilt at publication with...I can dream.
I also devour books by Stephen King and get sleepless nights afterwards.

In the evenings, I like to fly Internet spaceships (EvE Online) while quality checking my brews and surfing the forums all at the same time :-D

Daytime, due to being a bit short for my current weight <cough>, I like to get my mountain bike out when I can (16 miles this morning).

I'm sure I read somewhere recently that the major cities are thinking about turning off or dimming the lights during the night time? I'd love to see the milky way from my back garden here in Manchester.

I would love to have a telescope but living in the city you do not get to see anything just a brown sky.

As for me I am into my fitness, swimming running some weights and biking. Sometimes do some long distance hiking with my parents

Sports fan but mostly Rugby (Tigers and England) and Cricket

I do like my computing and am a gamer too.

I make and play various bagpipes. If you fancy a listen you can find my band on http://www.estronband.blogspot.co.uk
This is a set of Welsh pipes I made for a guy in Virginia a while back:

Pibau cyrn - Bob Roser, Virginia.jpg

In the evenings, I like to fly Internet spaceships (EvE Online) while quality checking my brews and surfing the forums all at the same time :-D

Daytime, due to being a bit short for my current weight <cough>, I like to get my mountain bike out when I can (16 miles this morning).

Could easily be me... except for the cycling of course :P I fly internet spaceships too.

Niman & anyone else who likes a good read, can I recommend 'Through A Glass Brightly' by Nick Charles. A true story which will keep you glued from start to finish.

Latest posts

Back