Advice Required

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie15185

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'm after some advice, im an absolute novice I have had a coopers English bitter brew in the FV for around 11 days now I'm going to bottle it on sat, now forgive me for sounding dumb, why would I have to add priming drops what with it being a flat beer

Regards

Bitter is not really flat, just not as fizzy as lager.

I have not used the priming drops but using brewing sugar for priming I use roughly the following amounts of sugar in different styles of beer:

Bitters and Stout = 4g per litre
American Ales = 6g per litre
Lager = 7g - 8g per litre

Levels of carbonation is a personal taste thing but the above guide is a good place to start - not sure how that equates to priming drops per bottle but would have thought for a bitter 1 drop per 500ml bottle of bitter would be enough.

If you don't prime at all you will have totally flat beer, will still get you drunk but won't have any head when poured and will have absolutely no mouthfeel - you need to prime/carb for it to taste right in your mouth.

Hope this helps and good luck with your brew.

No (drinkable) beer is actually "flat" despite what some from abroad say about English bitter. I will brew bitters and serve them from a hand-pump (to some, the pinnacle of "flat" beer!) but I still add priming sugar to the cask and would cry in my pint if it really was "flat".

Now bottled beer is another kettle of hops (did I say that right?), you'd definitely be expecting some life in that!

The homebrew world now often talks in "volumes of CO2". How much CO2 is dissolved in the beer. Shortly after fermentation you can expect beer to contain about 0.9-1 volumes of CO2 dissolved in the beer while it is just sitting in the bucket. My priming (in a cask) might push this up to 1.2-1.3 volumes (that will show up as less that 4PSI in the cask). Without it my beer would surely be lifeless and "flat". With it you wouldn't be using words like "fizzy". If you put a lot of priming in the beer you could get 3-4 volumes of CO2 in the beer. Now you can use the "F" word to describe that!

But bottled beer is a different... (kettle, hops?). Get the priming sugar/drops in there! You'd be looking at 2-3 volumes of CO2, but it would be quite nasty without it. And if your mates are opening the bottles and they don't go "ffsss" they'd likely put them to one side!

Latest posts

Back