Chocolate Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which style?

• Amber

• Brown

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
I've had 4 oz of cacao nibs soaking in vodka for about 4 months now. I'll be ordering brewing ingredients in a little over a week. I've had a great beer by Boulevard called Chocolat that's amber in color but chocolate in taste. But I've been working towards a brown that has a nice semisweet chocolate taste. I'm torn on which to pursue...

Should I go for an amber with a milk/semisweet chocolate taste or a brown with a semisweet/dark chocolate taste? Or should I go for something else?

Of course you'll need to explain if you choose other...

ive polled other simply because much as i like the thought of a chocolate beer ive never managed to find one i liked....tried a couple of stouts and a chocolate lager and it was truly vile ....tasted like cheap chocolate flav had been added to the beer..

curious to how it works out for ya.

The taste you describe makes me wonder if it's that nasty artificial flavoring taste. I've had a couple of beers that were like that and the most nasty ones I've had.

I've made one with the cacao nibs and it as more of a dark chocate flavor. Not bad, but not what I had in mind.

My first brown had a nearly milk chocolate taste that was fleeting and I've been chasing it ever since. But grains were substituted and I didn't bother to ask as I was quite new. And my recipe book got wet and so some of it is questionable.

Latest posts

Back