flame out hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mirsultankhan

Landlord.
Reaction score
Greg Hughes book arrived today. Some awesome recipes. In some of the recipes he recommends putting as much as 100g of Hops at flame out. What is the purpose of this and is it really necessary?

Yes it will enrich the hop taste a fair bit too.

The Saaz one seems a bit odd. But you don't know til you try! It will have been tested so I'm sure it's good.

The GH single hop recipes are all basically the same if you take the alpha acid percentages into account. Hence the 99g of saaz (5%AA) at flame out.

I actually tried the saaz one but wasn't overly enamoured. It's the only time I've used Saaz. Maybe it put me off.

It's not something I'd make. Saaz isn't suited to that kind of hopping IMO.

The GH single hop recipes are all basically the same if you take the alpha acid percentages into account. Hence the 99g of saaz (5%AA) at flame out.

I actually tried the saaz one but wasn't overly enamoured. It's the only time I've used Saaz. Maybe it put me off.

have you tried the Amarillo? It seems strange to me to use a single hop, is it common practice? I thought that there were hops for bittering and hops for taste and aroma?

Loads of beers have just one hop. You can use any hop for bittering or for aroma. Some suit one purpose much more than the other, others are good at both. Some suit big aroma additions, others don't.

The Saaz single hop recipe in the GH book makes me wonder what he was thinking. It's like he decided to put some single hop recipes in the book, chose one hop from each continent, and used the same hop schedule for each. Has he made that Saaz recipe? Is there a picture of it? (My book's at home) If so, is the picture actually that beer? There are loads of hops that would work much better in that recipe than Saaz.

There are lots of very good recipes in the book though, that just seems like a lapse. Maybe someone who has made it will tell us it was great?

Loads of beers have just one hop. You can use any hop for bittering or for aroma. Some suit one purpose much more than the other, others are good at both. Some suit big aroma additions, others don't.

The Saaz single hop recipe in the GH book makes me wonder what he was thinking. It's like he decided to put some single hop recipes in the book, chose one hop from each continent, and used the same hop schedule for each. Has he made that Saaz recipe? Is there a picture of it? (My book's at home) If so, is the picture actually that beer? There are loads of hops that would work much better in that recipe than Saaz.

There are lots of very good recipes in the book though, that just seems like a lapse. Maybe someone who has made it will tell us it was great?

No picture of the saaz beer there is a picture of an Amarillo single hop and a Pale ale hop both of which look delicious. He uses way more hops for his recipes than I am used to.

I really like the look of the Imperial IPA, but at 8.6 ABV I may simply scale the recipe down to 11.5 litres instead of 23

The Imperial IPA is superb. It needs at least a month to condition but tastes more like a 5%ABV beer as in, you try to get up, but your legs don't work :lol:.

I see, its deceptively tasty! The problem is I think my mash tun is only 27 litres, the mash itself calls for 21 litres of water and 8.1 Kgs of pale malt, gulp. But yes, it does look really superb.

No picture of the saaz beer there is a picture of an Amarillo single hop and a Pale ale hop both of which look delicious. He uses way more hops for his recipes than I am used to.

I really like the look of the Imperial IPA, but at 8.6 ABV I may simply scale the recipe down to 11.5 litres instead of 23

Generally speaking the Americans use a lot more hops than we do, and their influence has now invaded our brewing scene. The Greg Hughes book shows that. A lot of the hops are added very late in the boil usually, to provide intense hop flavour and aroma. British beers have traditionally been mostly malt focused, in combination with nice yeast strains.

We produce great malt, and possess many great yeast strains. Our beers reflect that. Our hops are much more limited in terms of variety and intensity of flavours. Belgian ales do similar, but with their characteristic yeast strains. America is the reverse. They envy our malts and nick our yeast strains. But they use our hops much less enthusiastically. Although that is changing a bit I hear.

I'm sure you will have drunk beers that have the American style hopping. Punk IPA for example. If you don't like very hopped up beers, you need to find recipes that are more traditionally English or European I guess. Like the Graham Wheeler recipes for UK commercial beers. But the Americans do have their own styles that are much more balanced, like their cream ales and blonde ales. And I believe they are increasingly buying up English hops to make more easy drinking ales like ours, which they generally refer to as session ales. Some of the English hops get mixed up with American hops in American IPAs though.

Latest posts

Back