Batch Prime your Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
I was bottling last week so thought I would throw together an article on how I perform it as some questions do come up from time to time. The process that I am going to describe is what I use for bottling. I am not advocating that this is "the" way to bottle but simply "a" way that might give some brewers some thoughts on how to improve their own results. However, if you have a competely different process or perhaps made a piece of equipment to help then please tell us about it.

First off, batch priming is simply the process off adding all of the secondary fermentation sugars to your whole batch of beer to ensure that you get consistent levels of carbonation in all your bottles. This is opposed to the system advocated on the instructions of beer kits which suggests adding sugar directly to each bottle.

What do you need?

1, a "bottling bucket". Simply a fermenter with a tap.
2, some steriliser (I use VWP)
3, sugar for priming (T&L for me and I usually use between 60g and 80g per 5 gallon batch).
4, a length of syphon tubing
5, the "little bottler" (this will fit onto the tap of the bottling bucket)
6, some crown caps
7, a capper
BottlingEquipment.jpg

8, some beer!
9, clean bottles (this process only covers the sterilization of the bottles)
BeerinFermenter.jpg

Bottles.jpg

The first job is to sterilise everything which is easy enough to do with the bottling bucket. I fill the bucket with cold water then mix in a small amount a of VWP. I then throw in the syphon and the little bottler to soak. I take the bottles in batches of 20-22 and half full each bottle from the bucket and let them sit for a few minutes. I then give each bottle a good shake before emptying back into the bucket and rinsing each bottle out a couple of times under a cold tap. I then repeat with the second batch of bottles.
BottlingBucket.jpg

I also sterilise the crown caps by taking some liquid from the bucket.
CrownCaps.jpg

As I am sterilising the second batch of bottles I get me priming sugar ready. I take the sugar and add it to a small saucepan with around a half pint of water and the being to a simmer for a few minutes to ensure that any "nasties" are eliminated. I then take off the heat while I get the bottling bucket ready.
Sugarinpan.jpg

You prepare the bottling bucket and syphon by thoroughly rinsing.

Add you syrup to the bottling bucket and then drop your beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket ensuring that you mix with the syrup but also so as not to splash the beer around too much.
MixingtheBeerandSyrup.jpg

Once you have your beer simply attach the little bottler and begin the process.
LittleBottlerAttached.jpg

I have just used this method for the first time today :D

You will also need a CHAIR & a willing assistant. :thumb:

I placed the bucket on the kitchen worktop and sat on a chair faceing the bucket. I had all my clean bottles arranged to my right. Willing assistant (Mrs S) to the left. Take clean bottle in right hand pass to left hand place little bottler in bottle and fill. Remove little bottler and pass full bottle to assistan who places sterilized cap on bottle. While passing full bottle to assistant with left hand take empty clean bottle in right hand and repeat untill stupidly board :D

Great How to. I will give it ago this week i have got 10gallons to bottle this week.

Cheers

Hi,

if I dont have a bottling bucket can I add my priming sugar to the brewing bucket or would that not work?

I dont like the idea of adding a half teaspoon of sugar to each bottle as I can see this being inconsistant.

This is my 1st batch and dont want to be put off by a sweet brew or exploding bottles!

Many thanks in advance :) :drink:

YeandAle said:
Hi,

if I dont have a bottling bucket can I add my priming sugar to the brewing bucket or would that not work?

I dont like the idea of adding a half teaspoon of sugar to each bottle as I can see this being inconsistant.

This is my 1st batch and dont want to be put off by a sweet brew or exploding bottles!

Adding the sugar mix to the brewing bucket is not a good idea. You would need to stir the mix in and this would disturb all the sediment.

Thanks snail.

I was thinking that wouldnt work.

I have brewers sugar which looks very powdery. If I use a powdered sugar will it clump up in the bottles if im adding this directly to the bottles and when bottles are full and capped am I ok to shake the bottles to make sure all sugar is dissolved?

Maybe its worth getting a bottling bucket so I can just mix the sugar in one hit.

Im using Muntons IPA so im guessing half a tea spoon to each bottle would be right or 60 grams of sugar to 5 gallons?

Only a couple of days away from the bottling stage and cant wait!! :cheers:

Great 'How To...' thanks for this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is the process I am going to be using to bottle my next brew (Muntons IPA, so YeandAle let me know how yours tastes as mine's not going to be ready for a month or so).

I bought a second fermenter with a tap purely for bottling purposes and it came in at less than £15.00 including postage. :party:

Think I might buy a couple of corneys next and then I can use both fermenters at once and keg 'em both.

For my first brew (Coopers Pale Ale) I used 115g of Dextrose in my pressure barrel for secondary carbonation and it came out great, although I did think at first that this was too high and was expecting to come home one day to only half a kitchen but it's turned out ok.

I used this guide to help me work out how much sugar to use: -

http://oz.craftbrewer.org/Library/Metho ... uide.shtml

Cheers :drink:

YeandAle said:
Thanks snail.

I was thinking that wouldnt work.

I have brewers sugar which looks very powdery. If I use a powdered sugar will it clump up in the bottles if im adding this directly to the bottles and when bottles are full and capped am I ok to shake the bottles to make sure all sugar is dissolved?

Maybe its worth getting a bottling bucket so I can just mix the sugar in one hit.

Im using Muntons IPA so im guessing half a tea spoon to each bottle would be right or 60 grams of sugar to 5 gallons?

Only a couple of days away from the bottling stage and cant wait!! :cheers:

BOTTLING BUCKET

You can get a cheap food grade bucket off Ebay and most of the forum sponcors sell little bottlers so its not an expensive option.

I just use normal granulated sugar. When I prime bottles I use a small funnel to get the sugar in then fill the bottle so it mixes as it fills. Ive never shaken bottles after filling.

Ok, so I now have a bottling bucket, a little bottler and a bottle draining tree oh and a sterilser squirter for the top of the bottle draining tree! All in all I have spent around £75 of equipment but I now have 40 bottles and all the gear to make beer for ever:)

I will be taking some pics and posting them when I finally decide that my brew has finished fermentation (after 9 days it is still showing bubles rising to the top).

I hope to be bottling tomorrow so fingers crossed all will be well and I wont get any time bombs in the cupboard!

:drunk: happy days

snail59 said:
YeandAle said:
Hi,

Adding the sugar mix to the brewing bucket is not a good idea. You would need to stir the mix in and this would disturb all the sediment.

This is true, however I have done this a few times in the past and after a period of 2-4 hours to settle it's been ok (with slightly less clarity), though I must point out if you leave it any more what you'll find is that the beer would have begun to carbonate and it will make your bottling a rather fun event if you like frothy beer all over the place as you bottle :lol: !
It can be done - but it is not best practice :thumb:
Cwrw

Nice post D, :thumb:
Another option for learners and experienced brewers on how to bottle without sugaring each one. :D

BB

OK so I now have all the correct bottling equipment. Bottle drainer / tree, bottle sterilsing pump, 2nd bottling bucket, little bottler (spring action bottle filler) 45 bottles, caps, capper and 40 pints of brewing ale that has now been on the go for 10 days now! I am concerned as I dont want to bottle it befor it has stopped fermenting. I can still see little bubbles risong to the top and I still have a bit of froth on the top. I am using a Muntons gold IPA kit, the instruction say 7 - 8 days before bottling but now I am on the 10th day I would of thought it would be ready by now. It has been sat in the kitchen at around 21 degrees since day 1.
Can anyone tell me it is ok to start bottling or do I have to wait until all bubbles have stopped rising and all froth has gone. Here is a pic to show you.

LGIM0074.jpg

Many thanks in advance.

Have you got an hydrometer? If no, dip a sterilized glass into the brew and take a sample, if it looks clear(ish) it's probably ready to bottle.
You get bubbles rising to the top as the co2 escapes from the fermented brew.
BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Have you got an hydrometer? If no, dip a sterilized glass into the brew and take a sample, if it looks clear(ish) it's probably ready to bottle.
You get bubbles rising to the top as the co2 escapes from the fermented brew.
BB

I have been told not to bother with a hydrometer as I should learn to do things by eye and get a feel for it. I will try the glass technique tomorrow.

Am I being told a load of rubbish and should I be using a hydrometer and doing things by the book?

Just did the glass test and it doesnt look clear(ish) in my opinion. Can just about see my 2 fingers behind.

BeerBrew1006.jpg

Should I be getting a hydrometer today?

YES!!!

get a hydrometer it will help in so many ways not least will stop you getting bottle bombs :shock:

a hydrometer is an essential piece of kit when brewing, leaving the beer for another week wont do it any harm, at all at least then you know it is ready to rack off, it looks ok now from your picture but to be on the safe side another week will be fine(if you can wait that is!) i normally leave a brew 2 weeks before racking anyway, good luck, make sure sterilisation is on the top of your to do list always, would'nt want a wasted brew!

Thanks guys. Im off up to the brew shop to grab a hydrometer. Any tips on using them and does it all depend on the temperature of the ale?

Back