Cold Steeping Roasted Malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My next brew is Vanilla Porter based loosely on the Graham Wheeler Fullers recipe with some chateau cafe light caramel malt (and vanilla pods post fermentation) in addition. I want this to turn out very smooth with layers of chocolate, coffee and vanilla flavours but without any harsh roastiness. I was thinking of cold steeping the chocolate malt 18 or 24hrs beforehand, and adding the steepings toward the end of the boil.
Anyone tried this techinque, and if so any tips (eg should add x% more malt to get the same flavour intensity as using in the mash) ??

I was under the impression that cold steeping gave you the colour without the intense flavour.
I used it on a Black IPA where I steeped 100g of Cara 3 for 30 mins and then added to the boil with 30 mins to go. (also put 200g Cara 3 in the mash). Worked a treat as got the colour without the taste being too intense.

thanks.. that's a good article. I test cold steeped some chocolate malt overnight after I did the initial post. I was very impressed with the result in as much as the steeping liquid tasted really nice...coffee with chocolate notes and no astringency...so I've decided to try this technique for the vanilla porter I'm doing on Tuesday...so will steep the chocolate malt overnight at room temp...and add later in the boil.

Latest posts

Back