torrified wheat

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I assume this goes in the mash ?
Definitely. It's not even a malted grain, so you have to treat it like any other "adjunct", that is basically starch (like flaked maize etc). As I understand it, it's wheat that has been heated up & made sort of "porous", so that the enzymes in your mash (from the "real" malt) can get through to it more quickly. But it definitely isn't like wheat malt, so only use a small amount

mmm, stinky feet flavour, might give that a miss then.

Carapils is about the same price as Torrified wheat from my LHBS, so how much Carapils would you use % wise, and does this imaprt any flavour, like dogs bum hole or anything equally as stupid.

Found an article while trawling Google that says Crystal is just as good for head retention.
My next brew has Crystal, so maybe i'll leave both out and see what i get.

I've seen numerous claims that torrified wheat introduces a toe nail flavour into your brew!

:sick: I'd have to drink it alone in the dark somewhere. Or send it to beer judges who have offended me :twisted:

mmm, stinky feet flavour, might give that a miss then.

Carapils is about the same price as Torrified wheat from my LHBS, so how much Carapils would you use % wise, and does this imaprt any flavour, like dogs bum hole or anything equally as stupid.

Found an article while trawling Google that says Crystal is just as good for head retention.
My next brew has Crystal, so maybe i'll leave both out and see what i get.

I use 5% and don't notice any flavour

I did a pale ale with 6.3% torrified wheat last year and I didn't notice any taste. Current Galaxy Golden Ale bottled this morning has 6.8% carapils...purposefully putting a bit extra carapils than I normally would use to see any differences.

I read elsewhere that Torrified Wheat can impart a nutty or breakfast cerial taste.
CaraPils is winning at the moment, unless of course someone comes along and says it smells like dirty dishes or something stupid.

There's nothing wrong with TW, there's just a few nutters out there who slag it off. Use 5%, it works well. Try TW and Carapils in separate brews and see how they go.

Interesting that the guy in my LHBS didn't really have a good word to say for either Torrified Wheat or CaraPils.
He doesn't used TW because he thinks it imparts a wheat flavour, and he doesn't like wheat and says CaraPils imparts a toffee flavour.
Considering my next brew is an Old Peculiar clone, i opted for Carapils.

+1 for a cereal biscuit like flavour (TW)

I wasn't aware of a max % so I used around 10% Mark. The flavour was there and I couldn't put my finger on it. I know now.

It was a brew using up old grains so not really following a plan.

Drank it all though :-)

Interesting that the guy in my LHBS didn't really have a good word to say for either Torrified Wheat or CaraPils.
He doesn't used TW because he thinks it imparts a wheat flavour, and he doesn't like wheat and says CaraPils imparts a toffee flavour.
Considering my next brew is an Old Peculiar clone, i opted for Carapils.

This is yet more evidence that people in LHBS's really don't know much about making beer at all. A knowledgeable one is a rare thing in my experience. You will honestly benefit more from taking advice from home brewers who make beer regularly. The people who make the beer kits largely give bad advice too. Making beer regularly teaches us what works and what we like. We won't all agree, but you'll find a lot of agreement about key things.

Back