Will changing the yeast make much of a difference?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonnal

Brewster
Reaction score
I'm putting on a brew of my stock bitter today. I've previously used S 04 but have just realised I haven't got any in:doh:. Would it make a huge difference if I swapped in some Wilkos Gervin yeast that I have?

I've never used it before so am not sure if it's any good in the first place. Anybody have any experience using it?

Cheers

Not a huge difference no, but they are different. I prefer the Gervin meself. You shoujd try different yeasts, to find those that suit you best. Try the Gervin.

It clears and compacts well. It's a version of Nottingham yeast, which is widely used by breweries and home brewers.

There are tastier yeasts than SO4 and Nottingham, but both these yeasts are quick, reliable and good for bottling.

I've used Gervin quite a lot (when I first went AG). It's got a higher attenuation than S04 (about 80% vs S04's 75%) so the beer will be a bit drier. Is clean so not much esters unless you ferment quite warm and sticks to the bottom of the bottles really well

Latest posts

Back