splitting a liquid yeast starter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niman

Reaction score
ive a 1 ltr starter on the go wlp004 (hoping to brew tuesday)

the wort should be about 1.050 ish

brewsize 45 litres (ish) can adjust

So question is could i get away with splitting the starter between 2 fermemters?

or play it safe and use the starter for 1 and a dry yeast for the other??

if it were me, i'd add the 1 ltr starter to another litre of starter wort on Monday and keep growing it until Tuesday and then split 2 ltrs between the the two fermenters just to be safe. All depends how much yeast you started with in the starter ...was it a large quantity from a previous brew, or a small quantity from a virgin vial?

new vial....

with hind sight i have 2 500ml mason jars in fridge from a 4 litre starter pitched 3 , very fast start ...should prob have grown one of them..

but then i would have been up against my expiry date for the pouch i just used.

thanks for the reply

in that case I'd play it by ear...if your near expiry date stuff is struggling to come to life by tomorrow I'd go down the dry yeast back-up for the second fermenter....if it seems really active then I'd try to grow it on...alternatively..you should have enough time to grow up that remaining 1 ltr in the mason jar if you get it on tonight??

the vial should be fine expiry was march....i was thinking ahead regarding when i could next use it.

really must play about more with yeast

im struggling to find time to brew at present partly due to family commitments partly due to if theres much more rain im gonna have to take up bog snorkling to get to brewhouse.

on a wet day if i brew the shed looks like a midden when im finished bloody mud everywhere..and its not a pleasant brewday.

I feel for you.I have resorted to brewing by the garage door with a fan trying to push all the steam out. If i didn't i would never get to brew outside unless i was happy getting rain in the boiler.

heres the irony .. i bought the shed to brew in.....just didnt thing how wet garden could get...

2 days before the shed arrived i relplaced a realy old crazy paved patio....and paid to dump it and about 10 3*2 flags.....i should have kept them........to extend an existing path to shed

Latest posts

Back