Chlorine in tap water

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LogicalBrew

Reaction score
I'm now 2 brews in to my Homebrewing experience and the second was at least drinkable :thumb: For now, I am sticking with home brew kits so that I minimise the variables while I get the hang of things.

Unfortunately, my tap water at home can be prone to quite obvious chlorine levels and I want to try and remove that variable from the homebrew process. Before I get too deep into it, I would really appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum...

- is it worth the bother of trying to reduce the influence of chlorine?
- is it better to use water treatment tablets or some sort of filter?
- is there a widely accepted 'market leader' for homebrew water treatment?

grateful for any advice.

LB

Most people add half a campden tablet, crushed, to the water before adding the kit, as this removes the chlorine. Simple and effective.

Thanks guys - any known downside to using the campden tablets or is it a bit of a 'no-brainer'?

Also, given that my process has been to add the (heated) kit ingredients first, followed by a quantity of boiling water, and then the cold tap water, is there any reason that I can't add the Campden tablets at the end, after the kit ingredients? Or, do I need to draw off 20 litres of tap water into a (sanitized) container and add the campden tablets to that before pouring the water into the Primary FV?

cheers again

LB

Thanks guys - any known downside to using the campden tablets or is it a bit of a 'no-brainer'?

Also, given that my process has been to add the (heated) kit ingredients first, followed by a quantity of boiling water, and then the cold tap water, is there any reason that I can't add the Campden tablets at the end, after the kit ingredients? Or, do I need to draw off 20 litres of tap water into a (sanitized) container and add the campden tablets to that before pouring the water into the Primary FV?

I'm no scientist so hopefully someone with better scientific knowledge can tell us if there are any down sides. Not that i'm aware of, and experienced brewers use campden.

I have always treated the water in a separate FV, so not sure about adding the campden after mixing the kit.

Apparently Campden tablets can be either Potassium of Sodium metabisuphite, the sulphite part being the active ingredient. There are some reports that adding sodium can give sweet off flavours to beer, at the level we are talking it is probably not worth bothering but if you get the choice use potassium metabisulphite.
The chloramine is reduced to chloride ions which enhances beer flavour and ammonium ions which can be beneficial to yeast growth.

LB

I'd always add the campden tablet to the water first (ie your plan b) because you know it will deifnitely neutralise the chlorine. Adding after the homebrew kit is dissolved, there is a risk the suphite might react with other molecules in the homebrew kit (eg the sugars).

I use bottled water in all my homebrews now after my first couple of brews I could definitely taste the chlorine, @17p for a 2ltr bottle it is cheap and simple. I sometimes add a 5ltr one (£1.20) too if I need another plastic demi for my WOWS.

I use bottled water in all my homebrews now after my first couple of brews I could definitely taste the chlorine, @17p for a 2ltr bottle it is cheap and simple. I sometimes add a 5ltr one (�£1.20) too if I need another plastic demi for my WOWS.

I was wondering about bottled water. Is it fairly common to use it, or do more people use a water conditioning tablet?

I use tap water. Most people do I think. If your drinking water isn't good, bottled water makes sense.

Guys

Thanks once again for the always excellent advice. I was clearly trying to be lazy and not have to sanitise another vessel to hold the water I add the Campden tablet too. However, the advice seems pretty clear so I'll give myself a good talking too and do it properly! :D

I'll report back with any difference in the flavour of the third batch. I am comparing my brews to the very excellent results that a mate gets using the same kit with untreated Norfol water. I guess they must have better water where he lives 'cos his tastes way better than mine! :-(

LB

I would recommend getting a bottle of Starsan sanitiser. You'll be shocked at the price, but it doesn't need rinsing off, and I've never had an infected brew since I got it. And I've had my bottle for three years and I'm probably a quarter of the way through it. You use 1.5 ml of it per litre of water. I usually make up two litres, put it in the FV and put the lid on and shake about. A litre would be plenty. You can then pour the sanitiser into your other FV and fill the first one with water and campden. Sanitise the second FV and any other things like hydrometer and then pour the sanitiser into a container or bottle to use again. Makes life very easy and quick, and it works great. It creates foam when you shake it, but the foam is fine, and apparently it even feeds the yeast.

The Maltmiller, online, does its own brand of Starsan which is a bit cheaper.

I was wondering about bottled water. Is it fairly common to use it, or do more people use a water conditioning tablet?

i'm a bottled water fan 17p tesco chase spring. it's a fairly neutral canvas. I star san the outside of the bottles first in case of a splashback when emptying the bottles into the fv but no boiling required great for kits and comes measured in 2ltr amounts :-)

my tap water used to be good till welsh water started adding c**p to it. :-o

I just use my tap water but its being boiled so a lot of off flavours are removed. Due to heavy rain more chlorine is being put into the water though.

Latest posts

Back