Hop Growing in the garden

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seeds I planted last year in May did ok through the winter, and grew well this year. Seemed to attract slugs to start with that set them back but most are between 5 and 10ft.
The ones I planted in a raised bed filled with home made compost have done well planted along with sweet peas and runner beans that also need support, and forms a green screen between us and next door. The ones planted at the base of young trees climbed well but not so vigorously, but they self-twined around the tree well.

Being this far north I will see how they survive another winter before spending on well known varieties.

Regarding drying quickly. If you have the room then a dehumidifier would probably work well in a sealed room, with a couple of flat fans to get some circulation.

I planted a single First Gold rizome last November and got a decent harvest last month approx 30g once dried in the oven at 40c. I did the same as an earlier poster as the AA is unknown and combined with shop bought hop but paired my First Gold with Northdown. Due to this being by first AG brew I kept the grain bill simple simple with Maris Otter and just a touch of chocolate malt for colour. Below recipe for a 15ltr batch, as I'm not geared up yet for full volume boils

3kg Maris Otter
20g Chocolate malt
10g Northdown - 60 min
10g First Gold - 30 min
10g First Gold - 15 min
10g First Gold - 5 min
10g First Gold - 0min
Wilko Gervin (Notty) yeast

Hopefully a hoppy Golden Ale. ABV is 4.6%, should be just about done carbonating. Not tasted it yet!

Just an update on my growing of wild Hops from seed. Well they all did very well in the second year. Very vigorous growth through the raised bed filled with home made compost. Tops shot off up to eaves level on the house along wires and kept going! So they do work as far north as Aberdeen with no problems.
I did get flowers, but didn't seem to get any female plants in the mix so I have cut them all back and attempted to dig them up. Slight problem here as the roots are long, very tough and as thick as your fingers. Even with getting out as much as I could they are re-sprouting this year and having another go for it.

I will wait until they are all dead before I buy a named variety otherwise I won't know what is what coming up.

Hi Richie

I too am growing hops from seed which I bought from Chiltern Seeds. I have a number of plants and the tallest are heading towards 2m but many are yet small. As they are in their first year, I am growing them in pots and only supplied support for a height up to 2.5m so I'll soon have to start trimming them. I need to keep them separate so I will be able to identify and discard the male plants.

Could you please tell me how high yours grew in the first year and when/how long was it before you could identify the sex of the plant ?

You mention the problems of digging them up. From what I have read, if you get all the rhizome from the first 8 inches then the tap roots will just die. I hope that is the case !

Many thanks

John

Mine stayed small in the first year from seed, lots of leaf but very thin vines. Almost a houseplant. Looks like they save the energy in the roots so the more leaf area you get the more they will grow next year. Cut back to ground level after the first year as they sprout from the base. Think I was getting flowers in the second year.

Latest posts

Back