Shepheard Neame 1698 Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a bottle of Shepheard Neame 1698 which I bought recently which I was thinking of using as a basis for a yeast culture to eventually pitch in my next brew.
Before I venture down down this long windy path, has anyone out there used this yeast, in short, is it any good?
Or should I just neck the bottle contents and forget all about it?? :hmm:

I definatle think it would be worth it to have a go. After a quick bit of googling, I think it's supposed to be estery/fruity leaving lots of maltyness too. A classic English type of strain

Yes. I've done it from a 1698. Reading back on my notes, I only did one brew from it and it seemed to work well. It's not amonst my current bottle collected collection and I've got no idea what happened to it. I'll have to do it again.

I cultured some of this up a little while ago but then forgot all about it and it went bad in the jar before I could use it for anything :doh:, what I can tell you is its a very heavy top cropper and it exploded out of jar I grew it in, so I think a blow off tube will probably be needed when brewing with it. I sampled a little of the starter wort and I would agree with what MyQul says above, there was an English dark fruit character and also a sort of woody/old leather background that I seemed to remember reminded me of Spitfire. I would say if you like SN beers then use their yeast!

MyQul/nbpicklesno2
Thanks for that.
With that encouragement, and armed with MyQuls 'how to' (thanks for that too) I shall have a go.
The intended is a Burton Bridge Best Bitter kit, a Xmas present, so it may give it the lift it probably needs, together with other add-ons, although I shouldn't be saying that as an Old Burtonian :whistle:.
Last time I did a yeast culture was from a bottle of Guinness, in the days when it was bottle conditioned, so you can tell how long ago that was!
Dude
Just seen your comments. I do like SN IPA so all looking good :thumb:. Ta

Last edited:
I cultured some of this up a little while ago but then forgot all about it and it went bad in the jar before I could use it for anything :doh:, what I can tell you is its a very heavy top cropper and it exploded out of jar I grew it in, so I think a blow off tube will probably be needed when brewing with it. I sampled a little of the starter wort and I would agree with what MyQul says above, there was an English dark fruit character and also a sort of woody/old leather background that I seemed to remember reminded me of Spitfire. I would say if you like SN beers then use their yeast!

The flavour profile you describe, Dude, sound's like it would be fantastic in a Stout too. Might have to have a go at culturing the strain up.

Good shout, I think it would probably suit a porter/stout very well indeed :thumb: I think I remember having a double stout by SN that I quite enjoyed a while back.....

It's coming up to five full days since I started my 1698 yeast culture. I'm basically following MyQuls method:- http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53567
From almost clear when I started I now have about 4 to 5ml of yeast at the bottom of the jar, plus yeast in suspension.
Tomorrow will be the step up to 1.040 wort.
What I have noticed is that the yeast has flocculated to form tight clumps about 1mm or less in size which seem to be pretty indistructable when I shake the jar. I assume that this is a good sign!
My target is about 160-170ml settled yeast which I have picked up from another of MyQuls recent posts.:thumb:

It's coming up to five full days since I started my 1698 yeast culture. I'm basically following MyQuls method:- http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53567
From almost clear when I started I now have about 4 to 5ml of yeast at the bottom of the jar, plus yeast in suspension.
Tomorrow will be the step up to 1.040 wort.
What I have noticed is that the yeast has flocculated to form tight clumps about 1mm or less in size which seem to be pretty indistructable when I shake the jar. I assume that this is a good sign!
My target is about 160-170ml settled yeast which I have picked up from another of MyQuls recent posts.:thumb:

When I last cultured up from a commercial bottle I don't remember measuring how much I had but there was definately enough to ferment out to target FG after the second 2L step up

I'm assuming your going to have an OG of between 1.040-1.050? Else you might need a bit more

It's day 12 of my 1698 yeast culture experiment, and at the end of today it will be about 2.5 days since I made the first step up, and tonight it will be going in the fridge for the cold crash before the next phase.
At the bottom of the bottles split 50/50 I have estimated there is about 65-70ml of gloopy yeast in total, plus the yeast in suspension. If left alone each bottle resembles a miniature lava lamp due to the yeast activity!
Anyway I'm just checking to confirm whether there is still not enough yeast in total to pitch into about 21 litres of wort at an FG of about 1.042 which is where the yeast culture will finally go. It would suit me to get going soon and not bother with a second step, but if its still too early I will have to wait but the brew won't be able to get started until early next week.
Anyone got a view on this?
Ta

It's day 12 of my 1698 yeast culture experiment, and at the end of today it will be about 2.5 days since I made the first step up, and tonight it will be going in the fridge for the cold crash before the next phase.
At the bottom of the bottles split 50/50 I have estimated there is about 65-70ml of gloopy yeast in total, plus the yeast in suspension. If left alone each bottle resembles a miniature lava lamp due to the yeast activity!
Anyway I'm just checking to confirm whether there is still not enough yeast in total to pitch into about 21 litres of wort at an FG of about 1.042 which is where the yeast culture will finally go. It would suit me to get going soon and not bother with a second step, but if its still too early I will have to wait but the brew won't be able to get started until early next week.
Anyone got a view on this?
Ta

I take it your on step up 4 and have put the yeast in 2L of wort and got 65-70ml of yeast?

With only 65ml-70ml of yeast I don't think you've got enough. I'd definatley do the last 2L step up as you'll need anyywhere from 120ml-160ml of yeast. It's would be a shame to get a stuck brew because you didn't do the last step

I take it your on step up 4 and have put the yeast in 2L of wort and got 65-70ml of yeast?

With only 65ml-70ml of yeast I don't think you've got enough. I'd definatley do the last 2L step up as you'll need anyywhere from 120ml-160ml of yeast. It's would be a shame to get a stuck brew because you didn't do the last step

Thanks for that.
Looks like I'll need to go to step 5 then, and brew next week after all.

Thanks for that.
Looks like I'll need to go to step 5 then, and brew next week after all.

I would, just to make sure. Without a stir plate (annd my method is a low tech one specifically for those people like me who don't have one) the biomass of yeast that you grow by just shaking a few times a day is significantly lower.

btw, now you've put all that effort into harvesting and growing the strain how are you going 'keep' it. If you just harvest trub and pitch from brew to brew you'll only be able to use it 6-10 times.

I suggest you overbuild the last step up. Instead of putting it in 2L, put it in 2.5L (you could use the 2L pop bottles again or use a 5L water bottle. Or if you've got one a DJ). Once it's finished fermenting out shake it up to suspend all the yeast then pour 500ml in to a bottle or jar. Pitch the other 2L as per my guide and your can repitch from brew to brew 6-10 times. With the other 500ml put it in the fridge . When you come to needing it put it in 2.5L again and repeat portioning off 500ml using the 2L to pitch from brew to brew again 6-10 times. In this way you can get LOADS more uses

I bought a bottle of 1698 yesterday when I spotted some in ASDA. I won't be culturing it up yet as I have pale ales and pseudo lagers using Nottingham yeast planned for the next few brews

I bought a bottle of 1698 yesterday when I spotted some in ASDA. I won't be culturing it up yet as I have pale ales and pseudo lagers using Nottingham yeast planned for the next few brews
I started my brew on Thursday (ahead of schedule) since I had about 140ml ish of settled yeast after the second 2 litre batch. I pitched most of the 1698 yeast plus 2 days worth of partially fermented wort, but kept some back and that's sitting in the fridge at present. As for the brew itself it was bubbling through the lock after about 6-7 hours (and I have a leaky FV lid), and has been going steadily at about 19*C in my water bath. The krausen was not massive. I have noticed the bubble rate has just started to drop back a little after 48 hours or so.
I will keep some of the trub when I rack off (which is what I do before dry hopping) and may give an update if there is anything more worthwhile to say about all of this. :thumb:.

I started my brew on Thursday (ahead of schedule) since I had about 140ml ish of settled yeast after the second 2 litre batch. I pitched most of the 1698 yeast plus 2 days worth of partially fermented wort, but kept some back and that's sitting in the fridge at present. As for the brew itself it was bubbling through the lock after about 6-7 hours (and I have a leaky FV lid), and has been going steadily at about 19*C in my water bath. The krausen was not massive. I have noticed the bubble rate has just started to drop back a little after 48 hours or so.
I will keep some of the trub when I rack off (which is what I do before dry hopping) and may give an update if there is anything more worthwhile to say about all of this. :thumb:.

You might like to let us know about the esters/flavour profile it gives. You could have had a slurp of the starter wort too:whistle:

Back