Shepheard Neame 1698 Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to try this on an oatmeal stout.
Don't ask me why but I thought the fruitier side of this beer even though it attentuated quite high I think would maybe suit a stout..

I think it would suit as stout. It worked well in a brown ale I put it in. I think English yeasts work well in dark beers. I used WY1469 in a GH smoked porter once and it wasone of the best beers I've made.

I've almost cultured some more up and I'm going to use it in a pale ale first

Mine, that I put in a Wherry kit, is still going...very, very slowly now, but still plopping about once every 15 minutes. We've had another hot spell, 34 yesterday, I can't get the wort temperature down below 25 at present. But, smell from the airlock is still good, still getting citrus, and choc-chip cookie smell. Checked SG (1.009) a few days ago when I took out my spur-of-the-moment green hop addition, all seemed good then too. The SN yeast definitely ferments better than the kit yeast, I'm certain about that and gives nice citrusy notes too. Tasted OK from the trial jar the other day so just a case of being patient I guess...

I put my cultured up SN yeast in an ordinary bitter on monday. I've had it at about 19C in the brewbag.
19c...that's good in this heatwave, or is Peckham missing out? Or maybe you've got a brewfridge? SWMBO's just bought a new fridge and authorised me to have our old fridge in the man cave, so soon I've got a little modification job to do.

19c...that's good in this heatwave, or is Peckham missing out? Or maybe you've got a brewfridge? SWMBO's just bought a new fridge and authorised me to have our old fridge in the man cave, so soon I've got a little modification job to do.

Cosa del Peckham is as hot as the rest of the the SE at the mo. I'm using my Cool Brewing Brew Bag to keep my fermentation at 19C.

Cosa del Peckham is as hot as the rest of the the SE at the mo. I'm using my Cool Brewing Brew Bag to keep my fermentation at 19C.

I think my last brew has finall got me to bite the bullet and get a brew cool bag.. whilst potentially possible the brew fridge isn't really a viable option as it would be in a conservatory.. I think for me where I do not have huge spikes really it would allow me to tweak the temp..

my current brew was 24 yesterday (only 2nd day) not ideal I ended up freexing a 2l pop bottle and a wet towel to get the temp down. work sorta but not as well..

How often do you change your bottles and do you just use say 2x2l or is it depends on ambient temp and what your brewing..

How often do you change your bottles and do you just use say 2x2l or is it depends on ambient temp and what your brewing..

I change them every 12 hours but you could leave them for 24 hours if you want as their only half melted when I swap em out. How many I use is dependant on the ambient temp.1L of ice will drop the temp 1C HOWEVER , I've found if the ambient temp is above about 22C I need 2L of ice to drop the temp by 1C. I've been using 6x2L pop bottles this brew to keep the temp at 19C.
The bag is remarkably effective. You can even use some 500ml bottle to fine tune as the 1L/1C (2L/1C) is quite accurate

Having just taken a gravity sample of my bitter after 11 days fermentation the FG is 1.014 from an OG of 1.042 so 67% attenuation. I've given the FV a swirl to try and squeeze a couple more points out. I might give the yeast a bit of a rouse later too. I'm bottling next week.
As I've mentioned elsewhere the sample tasted very fruity. This will mellow of course with some conditioning so I think this might turn out to be a nice bitter

Having just taken a gravity sample of my bitter after 11 days fermentation the FG is 1.014 from an OG of 1.042 so 67% attenuation. I've given the FV a swirl to try and squeeze a couple more points out. I might give the yeast a bit of a rouse later too. I'm bottling next week.
As I've mentioned elsewhere the sample tasted very fruity. This will mellow of course with some conditioning so I think this might turn out to be a nice bitter

1.014 sounds like a Woodfordes yeast. My SN went down to 1.006 eventually - took 3 weeks though. The bitter's in my newly converted man-cave fridge cold chilling. The saved trub is in Mrs. M's new fridge....don't think she's spotted it yet...:party:

1.014 sounds like a Woodfordes yeast. My SN went down to 1.006 eventually - took 3 weeks though. The bitter's in my newly converted man-cave fridge cold chilling. The saved trub is in Mrs. M's new fridge....don't think she's spotted it yet...:party:

Having thought about it I think I underpitched. That would also explain why it tastes so fruity too, as underpitching stresses the yeast and causes it to produce more esters. In a bitter this is fine as it's style appropriate and even if it doesnt drop any more points, my bitter doesnt taste too sweet so I'm happy with it overall. I'm going to harvest and pitch the whole yeast cake into my next bitter to see what happens

This has now become a bit of a house yeast for me (possibly because I'm too lazy to bottle culture up some other English yeast). The 3times I've used it I just harvested the yeast cake and just chucked it into the wort. I made my house bitter this weekend and had half a jar left (after using some for a 5L ESB). It's been in the fridge for at least 3 weeks so I decided to make a starter on friday. I chucked te starter into the wort earlier this eve and was quite surprised to see it at started off after only about an hour. Even when I chucked the whole yeast cake into a brew it didnt start of this quick. I think I'll make starters for all my repitches from now on

Out of interest is this the direct descendant of the yeast that you cultured up all those months ago?
I ask because I thought there was a limit on how many times you could carry on with the line.

No. I thought that one was infected (I now realise that you need to ferment this yeast for 3 weeks and rouse it after week one and week two so you dont get 'creeping fermentation' in the bottle which I mistook for a wild yeast infection). So I bought a new bottle of1698 and re-cultured it up again

But I think I have sussed a way to reuse a yeast a huge number of times, similarly to top cropping. Basically, is a combination of overbuilding a starter and repitching/bottom cropping.
Acording to brulospopher you can overbuild a starter at least 13 times (some people even reckon infinately) http://brulosophy.com/methods/yeast-harvesting/ Then each one of those overbuilds you can repitch by bottom cropping about 6 times so 6x13= 78

Just put a version of TheHomeBrewCompanys Brown porter on with the 1698 yeast, I'll keep you updated, it smells lovely and fruity in the fermenter, even after only a few days!

Just had a sample today after about 10 days, certainly a dark fruit/plum flavour in the beer. Maybe a little bit sweet, however that could just need to ferment out a little more

Latest posts

Back