Northdown hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samnorfolk

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brought the wrong hops by mistake i was after some northern brewer, never used north down before. What other hops work well with them please?

Thanks

Would i use the north down as bettering and maybe some late additions?

Sure its dual purpose IIRC.. I think I used it in a take on of one clibits recipe and I made my own sort of IP using left over hops which were most of the ones I specified above..

You get that spiciness and some fruitiness from them.. If I recall..

Sure its dual purpose IIRC.. I think I used it in a take on of one clibits recipe and I made my own sort of IP using left over hops which were most of the ones I specified above..

You get that spiciness and some fruitiness from them.. If I recall..

Ok great many thanks

I've been playing with Northdown too lately, as I had some lying around and I can't remember why I bought them. Despite being dual-purpose, I prefer to use them as a bittering hop.

They go well with Goldings, here's a recipe (12L AG brew, 4.2% ABV) that's loosley based on Skinners beers, the Cornish brewery who use a lot of Northdown http://www.skinnersbrewery.com/our-beers/

Grain Bill
----------------
2.100 kg Maris Otter Malt (87.87%)
0.200 kg Wheat Malt (8.37%)
0.090 kg Crystal 60 standard (3.77%)

Hop Bill
----------------
19.0 g Northdown Leaf (8.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)
9.0 g Styrian Golding Leaf (4.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.8 g/L)
8.0 g Styrian Golding Pellet (4.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Aroma) (0.7 g/L)

I believe that Northdown is related to Northern Brewer and they're both described as woodsy and herbal, so hopefully you're not too far off anyway.

I've used Northdown in an ESB with Goldings to good effect

I believe that Northdown is related to Northern Brewer and they're both described as woodsy and herbal, so hopefully you're not too far off anyway.

I've used Northdown in an ESB with Goldings to good effect

Ok great, i was looking to do something along the lines of a London Pride

Brought the wrong hops by mistake i was after some northern brewer, never used north down before. What other hops work well with them please?

Thanks
In my brews they have come out tasting like Fuller's Bengal Lancer ... I have stopped using them, too woody, leathery, thick cloying bitterness. Maybe in a stout ?

I just used some for Bittering with some cascade and challenger

5kg MO
350 Crystal

24g Northdown 7.9aa @ 60 mins
15g Cascade 9.7aa @ 15 mins
15g Challenger 8.5 aa @ 0 mins

Have to wait and see how it turns out!

In my brews they have come out tasting like Fuller's Bengal Lancer ... I have stopped using them, too woody, leathery, thick cloying bitterness. Maybe in a stout ?

I was scrolling thru to see if anyone else found these a bit 'strip away the flavour of the beer' too.
The worst thing is it doesn't mellow with time.
EKG and fuggles or challenger.from now on me thinks

Back