NEW DRY YEAST - Danstar ESB Dry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting development, if nothing else because they seem to be fairly open about what strain it is, without specifically naming Fullers.

I'll probably give it a go too at some point.

Nice. I've had good results so far from danstra notts ale so would be happy to give this a whirl

I only just spotted this (was away when you posted it)

Will be interested to try it.. so far I am not massively keen on a lot of the dry yeast for English styles and have found so far liquid or cultured varieties have worked a lot better..

I only just spotted this (was away when you posted it)

Will be interested to try it.. so far I am not massively keen on a lot of the dry yeast for English styles and have found so far liquid or cultured varieties have worked a lot better..

MJ Dark ale dry yeast was good but you do need to add some simple sugars to boost the attenuation as it's normall attenuation is only about 65%. I added 10% golden syrup and still only got 71% attenuation. But it turned out to be agreat bitter

MJ Dark ale dry yeast was good but you do need to add some simple sugars to boost the attenuation as it's normall attenuation is only about 65%. I added 10% golden syrup and still only got 71% attenuation. But it turned out to be agreat bitter

Just used MJ Dark Ale yeast for a chocolaty centennial Brown ale including about 6% light brown sugar and got 76% attenuation, stopped at 1013* where I had expected about 1015/16.
*I ran a small volume of wort/yeast at 30°C for a few days to gauge the end point as 1013 and left the beer until it got there.

Ale still being cold conditioned before trying it

Just used MJ Dark Ale yeast for a chocolaty centennial Brown ale including about 6% light brown sugar and got 76% attenuation, stopped at 1013* where I had expected about 1015/16.
*I ran a small volume of wort/yeast at 30°C for a few days to gauge the end point as 1013 and left the beer until it got there.

Ale still being cold conditioned before trying it

I've only usedit once but I like this yeast. I think it's called old empire now.

I've only usedit once but I like this yeast. I think it's called old empire now.

Yeah looks like it has changed . Used to be M03 Newcastle Dark ale yeast and is now M15 Empire ale, description slightly different but essentially the same yeast I think. They have a great pdf document on their website with lots of yeast specifications for their range.

I have seen M03 referred to being the same as Windsor yeast in some reports

I've been keeping an eye on various forums with threads about this yeast and....

"Just seen a tweet from Lallemand UK saying that it is now available in both 500g and 11g sachets.

So I would expect to see it appearing in all your favourite home brew stores fairly soon." over at jims
http://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=76769

I think Murphy and Son (or is it Co.?) will also be stocking it in 11g. Not sure if they have a minimum order but suspect that homebrew shops will follow.

I have just listed 3 x 11gm of new London ESB Dried yeast for 9.95 post free on EBay with usage notes....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=191991164204&ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:GB:1123

Ian

P1030234.jpg

Latest posts

Back