NEW DRY YEAST - Danstar ESB Dry

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on 1050 gravity thats about 73% attenuation which tbf is about right for the style of the yeast. You are at the higher end of the scale they specify for it.. If it was too low it would probably be too dry for an ESB

I did think that I would try this one (Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild) with an English ESB yeast. On sort of "general grounds" as the chess players might say.

It shot through the air lock on Day One, which I thought was slightly impetuous, then just basically died by Day Three. By day four, I just chucked in a 250ml bottle of re-used, poorly flocculating 3rd generation US 05.

Has been bubbling fine for a couple of days.

Yes, I do accept that this sort of approach is essentially a bit plebeian, but I will never, ever, bottle beer at 1018 again.:whistle:

I did think that I would try this one (Sarah Hughes Ruby Mild) with an English ESB yeast. On sort of "general grounds" as the chess players might say.

It shot through the air lock on Day One, which I thought was slightly impetuous, then just basically died by Day Three. By day four, I just chucked in a 250ml bottle of re-used, poorly flocculating 3rd generation US 05.

Has been bubbling fine for a couple of days.

Yes, I do accept that this sort of approach is essentially a bit plebeian, but I will never, ever, bottle beer at 1018 again.:whistle:

Nothing wrong with mixing a clean high attenuting yeast with a low attenuating more flavourful yeast to get the best of both worlds. I hear mixing windsor with notty 50/50 makes a cracking beer - not tried it myself though

Nothing wrong with mixing a clean high attenuting yeast with a low attenuating more flavourful yeast to get the best of both worlds. I hear mixing windsor with notty 50/50 makes a cracking beer - not tried it myself though

Now, that is interesting. I am tempted now to take a bit of the trub yeast to try on a subsequent brew. Having the Graham Wheeler book of essentially British stuff, there are a few very interesting recipe in there for this approach.

Yeah I think I read that in that yeast book, you can benefit from the first vigirous fermentation and esters and then add another yeast to help attentuation..

I wonder if this yeast like some of the others shepherds neame and all that need folding back into the beer a bit

Yeah I think I read that in that yeast book, you can benefit from the first vigirous fermentation and esters and then add another yeast to help attentuation..

I wonder if this yeast like some of the others shepherds neame and all that need folding back into the beer a bit

I'm not sure. I've never used Windsor

I'm not sure. I've never used Windsor

Nor me, sorry I never specifically meant windsor but I meant you can use your primary yeast to achieve certain results and then pitch something else mid week for a better attenuation.

I have never done this so I dont know

Nor me, sorry I never specifically meant windsor but I meant you can use your primary yeast to achieve certain results and then pitch something else mid week for a better attenuation.

I have never done this so I dont know

I'm pretty sure you just can pitch them both at the same time

Back