Base recipe for 'Easy Rose' Supermarket Juice Wine WOW - 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roddy

Landlord.
Reaction score
Chippy_tea.... could you post up your recipe/method for the DJ version of your Supermarket juice wine (WOW) I'm going to make up a few experimental batches of stuff, to go alongside my 25L concoctions, and I don't have a good handle on the proportions for smaller batches, as mine have gone slightly off plan lately.

cheers buddy :thumb:

Could you post up your recipe/method

No problem.

As regulars here know Roddy has made more wine than most of us so i have aimed this guide at new members starting out and hope it is of some use, any questions don't hesitate to ask.

The recipe below is from the first post in the "Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzel's Orange Wine WOW" thread here - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Since posting the thread in 2013 i have started to top up using half a litre of apple juice per DJ then adding water to the base of the neck as it gives it a little more taste without going over the top, i also no longer use Glycerine and acid but feel free to experiment and leave feedback in this thread.

I have a degassing wand so do not heat water to dissolve the sugar (video 1) i simply add the sugar and juice to cold tap water in the DJ then beat the hell out of it with the wand and all the sugar is dissolved, this saves a lot of time and cleaning up afterwards

If you do not have a wand put approximately 1 litre of boiling water in a pan add 800g of sugar and stir until dissolved then let this cool to around 40c before adding it to the DJ.

Pour the sugar/water mix into the DJ then add a litre of Red Grape Juice or White Grape Juice and a litre of apple juice, add tannin (see below) and top up with either hot or cold water to the shoulder of the DJ to bring the temperature to between 20c and 30c.

Put in the rest of the ingredients in the recipe below and give it a gentle stir then put the airlock on.

Let it ferment until you only see one bubble every two minutes or if you have a hydrometer it is .995 or below, rack (syphon) it into another DJ onto a crushed campden tablet add stabiliser (fermentation stopper) degas by either using a wand as mentioned earlier or by covering the neck with a clean hand and shaking the DJ for a few seconds before releasing your hand and letting the CO2 escape, do this several times until you do not hear the CO2 escaping.

If you want to drink your wine in days/weeks rather than months/years use finings, the best i have found is KwiK Clear this will clear your wine in 24 - 48 hours.

When you have added the fining top up either with water, juice or a combination of the two then put the airlock back on and wait for it to clear.

When your wine is crystal clear bottle it, i use a little bottler and bucket clip on my syphon tube as it makes the job a breeze.

Rosé wine (A forum favourite)

1 litre Red grape juice (ASDA)

1 litre Apple Juice (ASDA)

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

When do you do the topping up to the Base of the neck bit ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

When do you do the topping up to the Base of the neck bit ?

Well spotted, i have added this to the OP -

When you have added the fining top up either with water, juice or a combination of the two then put the airlock back on and wait for it to clear.

Ah so that goes in after the fermentation stopper has done it's job ?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have read posts from members saying they put the stabiliser in then wait a day or so before moving on to the next steps, i have always added it before degassing so it gets mixed in well before adding the fining and juice to top up, i have never had a problem with it starting to ferment again so i guess it does the trick the way i use it.

Most of the supermarket juice wines I have made usually ferment out far too dry for my tastes. Do you usually stop the fermentation before it's finished and what would be a recommended SG. Or do you let it ferment out fully and sweeten with something afterwards.

Depending on how sweet you like it you could stop it at .1000 if its too sweet try .996 and see how it goes.

I have just racked off two easy roses' one with rad grape and apple and the other with red grape and orange (with bits). The orange with bits one left a lot more gunk at the bottom than usual as per the photo after transfer to another demijohn and stabaliser added. It's quite dry at 990. Do you think it's an idea to top up with more orange (no bits!) or try apple which is a lot clearer or even top up with more grape juice. Water will probably dilute it too much and make it taste too thin. Or cut my losses and leave as it and pretend I have already drunk a bottle.

*** Picture come out sideways for some reason. The wine is not defying gravity :) ***

I have sorted that for you, i think it happens when you take the picture in portrait for some reason the forum software turns it, give it a try the other way next time and let us know if it works - CT. :thumb:

cccccccccccc.jpg

Last edited:
Great thread - was really hoping you would write your method down in one post :D

So no harm to the wine if there is a gap between neck and shoulder while it is still fermenting OK (ie > 1 bubble per 2 min?)
Does the carbon dioxide keep the air out ?

Also the above is for 4.5L quantity ?

Great. My 3 gallon PET carboys from Hop n Grape are actually 11.5 litres so they are US gallons, have to do maths every time for every ingredient !

Chippy, you say you top up with half a litre of apple juice then water. Is this at first and subsequent racking stages?
Not sure I have room for half litre of juice let alone water but does this not also start the fermentation again? Like the idea of extra taste and possibly some sweetness.

Wrongway has it covered.

As you only fill the DJ to the shoulder and then rack leavening the sediment behind there is quite a gap to fill, once you have degassed, stabilise and added the finings you can then top up with half a litre of apple and then water to finish, you could fill it with apple juice alone but it may be a bit over the top.

Ok, followed this to the letter. my first attempt at this rose had slowed to well over one blip every two mins. SG taken and it is .990. I have racked off sediment on to a crushed Campden and added stabiliser.

Here is the issue, degassing. I have had a homemade paddle in there and whipped up a good froth. High speed drill for a couple of minutes. Got a good two fingers of foam sitting on it. Added part one finings as suggested and gave a shake to mix but still have gas releasing when taking hand off. Shake it and shake it but this keeps happening. Is is right? How far / long do I go with the degassing process and how do I know when done please?

22222222222222.jpg

Don't know if this is the preferred method but I added the Kwikclear after topping up with apple juice. The thought being any floating particles in the apple juice with be cleared out with the Kwikclear.

Don't know if this is the preferred method but I added the Kwikclear after topping up with apple juice. The thought being any floating particles in the apple juice with be cleared out with the Kwikclear.

In practice they have near enough gone in together. Topped up straight after adding part B. Looks like a gallon of mud at the moment.

I reckon it tated surprisingly nice. Bit harse but early days. Missus said it was bitter. Will wait for it to clear, take it off the sediment and see what difference the apple has made. It took half a litre of apple and a good 100ml of water as well to bring it to the neck.

Back