The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some of that California Common so must start planning to use it - although I do have about 4 recipes ready to go for when I feel like braving getting the kettle on outdoors.

The only one I’ve been impressed with so far is the California Common yeast, but I’ve just ordered the Kolsch yeast to hopefully brew on Friday for a mate’s stag do. Was planning on pitching 2 packs and fermenting at 14/15 for a week then ramping up to 20 for a week and cold crashing for a week before bottling. Then I’ll bottle and carbonate then “lager” for as long as possible before I need to make brew no2 for the stag (an American blonde so I should be able to leave brewing it until Mid-March so hopefully will be able to lager for at least 3 weeks).

I had some email chat with CML, and if you are double pitching, the Kolsch yeast will work all the way down to 12° - and I certainly had success with that. I also ramped up for a diactyl rest in week 3, to 18° in my case.

I think you'll like this yeast if you like the CC, it's very good!

Starting to cold crash the split batch of beer made with bird mix CML Belgian vs Kristalweizen. 9 days and they're down to 1.007 and 1.006 respectively. The taste of the Belgian sample** I got esters from straight away and a slight tartness. It was slightly cloudy. The Kristalwezen was mad clear and the flavour just slightly sweet with no esters at all. Some people said they've had the banana develop later in the bottle so I'm not dismissing it. I brewed at 19.5c. I'm wondering what the Belgian would be like at the higher end, I can imagine it being overpowering.

And nope, don't think anyone would be remotely suspicious about 44% of it being bird food. And that will be a secret kept until after the victims' tasting is done.

** I use a syringe and needle to take a sample for the refractometer and squirt the rest in me yowler.

My twopenneth on CML yeasts so far:
  • Kölsch - a versatile yeast. At 20degC Good body and went nicely with a malty Kölsch, slight peach/pear esters. At 18degC in a pale ale it was less estery but still detectable and much cleaner. Doesn't floc as well as S04 or Notty, but acceptable and improves over time. Would use again.
  • California Common - @19degC Quite clean and again great in a malty cal-com. Not great at flocculating but good mouth feel. Would use again.
  • Krystallweizen - disappointing compared to liquid Wyeast 3068. Banana is there but not much of it, tastes a bit bland. After experimenting with my remaining couple of packs I probably won't buy this again.
  • Yet to try the Belgian...

Just ordered 3 packs, (6 sachets)
Of their all purpose wine yeast.
78p each.

Latest posts

Back