100 grams minimum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jamil's Pliny the Elder clone has about 450g of hops and 280 IBUs :shock:
He mentions though that upwards of 120 IBUs you can't taste any more bitterness, it's all about the oils, resins and other hop compounds.

LOL 😂. Just don't tell her how much they cost then brew as soon as they arrive, she. Will be non the wiser, I tend to get a few bits from LHBS paid for in cash that I earn on foreigners. so that way you dont get, "what's this �£60 from malt Miller on our bank statement, I thought you said homebrew would save us. Money"

I have a CC used 'only' for holidays due to no foreign purchase transaction fee - as I pay that I don't get the 3rd degree.

My brews cost between 81p-£1.34 for a 500 ml bottle compared to what it would cost to buy it £1.50 - £2.29 sometimes more again :-0

so I've run the sums past mrs DOJ and she gets it. :party:

I'm not much of a hop head and dont use a lot of hops in my beer but what do you guys think of using hop schedules more effectively rather than more hops? e.g. using less bittering hops and more late and 0min hops, first wort hopping (never done this myself btw but I heard it increase hops flavours). As well as using bits of kit like hop rockets

I'm not much of a hop head and dont use a lot of hops in my beer but what do you guys think of using hop schedules more effectively rather than more hops? e.g. using less bittering hops and more late and 0min hops, first wort hopping (never done this myself btw but I heard it increase hops flavours). As well as using bits of kit like hop rockets
I've been messing with hop scheduling a fair bit recently. Including some DIYDog recipes (I think Brewdog are well known for getting "imaginative" with hop scheduling).

"First wort" hopping I've been doing (unintentionally) for years. Sometimes I'll get ahead of myself and bung the hops in well before boil commences. Can't say I notice anything from this "technique".

An eye-opener was late hopping with significant quantities of hops (1845 clone - about 50IBU but half the hops, EKG, being split between last 15 minutes and a 20/30 minute steep). That was a massive step up from the old "handful near the end of boil".

A recent brew (DIYDog #156 - Magic Stone Dog) put all the hops in for the last 15 minutes. I think to get hop flavour but keep IBUs down (a Saison style after all). Works I suppose.

I've not tried some of the "a few boil hops but get a wheelbarrow for the dry hops" recipes. But I'll give it a go one day (if I can afford all those hops). I'm really the "traditional British ale out of hand-pumps" sort, but I don't turn my nose up at trying these outlandish techniques.

(EDIT: Oh aye, "Hop Rocket". My brewery design was to accommodate something like that, but I'll get "steeping" out of my system first).

This kinds of sums it up i guess

DSC_1211.jpg

i've only ever done 15 min hop boil / steep /flame out or dry hops.with usually 200g minimum split up into various stages. because they are always invariably high AA hops a 15 min boil plus dry hopping gives me the bitterness and hoppy flavour to suit my palate. So not considered any alternative method to cut down on the hops.

i've only ever done 15 min hop boil / steep /flame out or dry hops.with usually 200g minimum split up into various stages. because they are always invariably high AA hops a 15 min boil plus dry hopping gives me the bitterness and hoppy flavour to suit my palate. So not considered any alternative method to cut down on the hops.

If your happy with using 200g per batch thats cool. I dont use much hops (today I'm doing 20L of a 6% smoked porter which just uses 75g). I was just wondering, for those people whole love a massive hop punch in the face whether its possible to get the same effect any other way or is it wheelbarrow fulls of hops or go home

If your happy with using 200g per batch thats cool. I dont use much hops (today I'm doing 20L of a 6% smoked porter which just uses 75g). I was just wondering, for those people whole love a massive hop punch in the face whether its possible to get the same effect any other way or is it wheelbarrow fulls of hops or go home

tbh i'm a bit scared of dialling down the volumes by means of better utilisation techniques, plus I don't have any fancy kit so any successful method would need to be low tech.

However I have brewed beer with no hops at all. :-)
Dark beers with the bitterness coming from speciality grain.

My 2nd ag was a galaxy brew I found on brewers friend, and it's hop schedule is my go to for hop forward brews.

With the galaxy brew mentioned above it was
A third of each flavour addition (4grams for my 10litre brew) for bittering and then an equal additon at 10, 5 and flameout (12g for my 10litres).

It did suggest a 20min whirlpool rather than flameout but stirring is the best I can currently do.

For recent full length brews I have bittered with 15-20g of something cheap - like the millennium hops the hbc have for £1.40 currently - then flavour hopped with 30g,30g and 40g at the above times with flavour hops like galaxy summit cascade or a mixture. If you find a hop you like have a look at the kilo bags. Cascade is really cheap at the moment and the summit I'm using at the moment cost me less than £2.50/100g (and I have lots more to use....).

I do like the potential swaps mentioned here

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REGvKWUyJ0s&t=0s[/ame]

Yesterdays Brew

Maris Otter 5000g
Crystal Malt 100g
Torrified Wheat 300g
Chocolate Malt 20g

Citra Hops 100g @ 60mins

OG 1.043
FG 1.010
ABV 4.3%
Colour 16 EBC