Festival bonfire toffee stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottl86

Reaction score
Started this brew on the 25th and krausen had formed the day after, now after just under a week the krausen has almost gone just a few bubbles/head on top, taken gravity readings and it has come down from .048 to .018

Has anyone else had noticed this or any ideas if it is normal?

I will take another reading in a couple of days

Started this brew on the 25th and krausen had formed the day after, now after just under a week the krausen has almost gone just a few bubbles/head on top, taken gravity readings and it has come down from .048 to .018

Has anyone else had noticed this or any ideas if it is normal?

I will take another reading in a couple of days

Loss of a full krausen at where you are is about right on most beers.
It's likely still fermenting from what you say, but it's still got some way to go before the SG bottoms out and then you need to leave it some more to clean up. I would leave it alone for at least another week before you even think about another SG reading. It won't do any harm and keep opening it up to take readings won't make it finish any quicker, and there is a slim chance you might let the nasties into your FV which you will not want. And the longer you leave it the clearer it will be for packaging.

Latest posts

Back