New to brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damo-bar

Reaction score
Hi it’s my first attempt on brewing I’ve bought coopers lager mix and I have all the kit do I stick to the instruction on the tin as I’ve been told this is just an estimate any advise would do and how do I sterilise the hydrometer every time I use it can I just mix a solution in a spray bottle thanks in advance

Hi it’s my first attempt on brewing I’ve bought coopers lager mix and I have all the kit do I stick to the instruction on the tin as I’ve been told this is just an estimate any advise would do and how do I sterilise the hydrometer every time I use it can I just mix a solution in a spray bottle thanks in advance
Hiya.
Oh dear,first rung on the slippery ladder:lol:
I only did a handful of kits before moving on to extract and b.i.a.b.First time i would stick to the instructions on the can,however give the beer at least 14 days brewing.Subsequent brews can be tinkered with as you gain confidence. You should have a trial jar! with your hydrometer.Buy a turkey baster,peanuts to buy and use thet to collect the wort for testing and filling the trial jar,you won't need to sterelise the hydrometer BUT you will need to sterelise the baster.
Good luck

Hi!
Wilko is a good place to get a trial jar - �£2.50 http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-plastic-trial-jar/invt/0022576
After taking a reading, empty the contents of trial jar down the drain (or your throat) but do not return it to the fermentation vessel.
Kit instruction always understate the time required - as @chub1 says, two weeks fermentation is the norm.

Down the throat. ALWAYS down the throat. Taste early, taste often, taste all. Drinking experience is more that just a swish of the tongue.

once you get an airlock displacement or krausen ring forming you know its on its way so leave for 14 days before you lift the lid again.

Right folks my beer is brewing it’s in garage with a warm belt round got to keep temperature at 18-20 oC so I now don’t touch it for about 14 days is this right

Right folks my beer is brewing it’s in garage with a warm belt round got to keep temperature at 18-20 oC so I now don’t touch it for about 14 days is this right

Hi!
Correct! Resist ALL temptation to peek inside. Even when the initial fermentation seems to be over the yeast is cleaning up after itself, chowing down on all it's own by-products to make lovely beer.

Be sure to rinse every thing propperly after sterilisation!! I had my first batch had a little chemical taste to it and thats all i can put it down too.. im also new to this 😂

My brew is in garage with a heat belt around it I’m struggling to get it above 14oc can I wrap a blanket around it or think I should bring it in doors thank you

I wouldn't worry too much, lager typically ferments at anything from 10-16 C.
Provided that the yeast supplied with the kite was a genuine lager yeast, it should be fine.

Thanks mmmbeer is it ok to leave it 2 weeks then or shall I leave it a while longer since it cooler than normal

Back