Ribena Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just discovered that Ribena is BOGOF is my local Tesco at the mo!! I feel a shopping/brewing spree coming on!! :D

ingypingy2 said:
Just discovered that Ribena is BOGOF is my local Tesco at the mo!! I feel a shopping/brewing spree coming on!! :D
Oh will check out mine tomorrow..... :party:

Hi all i have a ribena wine going at the mo (i did make it years ago after i found the recipe below in one of my grandads many binders of hand written recipes and notes) it was very nice and really got my mum sloshed she says it had a after kick lol

Ribena

1ltr ribena (not artificially sweetened must be 'Original').
1 teaspoon of citric acid or juice from one lemon.
1 sachet of winemaking yeast.
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient.
680g of sugar.

Method

Empty bottle of Ribena into glass one gallon demijon (sterilised).
Top up to the shoulder of the demijon with cold water.
Pour Contents into large Pan add sugar and boil
Wait for it to cool add citric acid and stir
Pour into demijohn
add yeast and yeast nutrient.
Shake, Fit airlock and leave.
Takes about 2-3 months depending on room temperature.

andy_hardy5 said:
Just put a couple of gallons of this on. I split it down as don't have an empty 25ltr FV at the moment.

For each gallon I used:

500ml Ribena
1250g Sugar
Juice of half a Lemon
1tsp Youngs Wine Yeast
1tsp Nutrient
1 Strong Cup of Tea
1tsp Glycerin

Hidden away under the stairs for a few weeks.

Thanks Porkbeast :thumb:

how did this turn out and did you make it the same way as the photo's/instructions above.. ? Thanks

You might have a bit of a wait for an answer ;)

If quoting an old post (date is at the top right) and haven't seen the user name online recently, it might be a good idea to check that member's Profile (bottom left of every post) to see if that member is still active.

In this case Andy Hardy posted on 3/12/10 and hasn't been online since 4/2/11.

Moley said:
You might have a bit of a wait for an answer ;)

If quoting an old post (date is at the top right) and haven't seen the user name online recently, it might be a good idea to check that member's Profile (bottom left of every post) to see if that member is still active.

In this case Andy Hardy posted on 3/12/10 and hasn't been online since 4/2/11.

Although if you're desperate for an answer, it might be worth dropping him a PM. Many users have email alerts set up for those!

strawberry ribena has now been back sweetened .i used more ribena.. a week later its now clear and have had a lil taste but it turned into a lil bottle then a big bottle and i cant remember the rest.. its very nice :party:

Hey folks

I put a strwaberry Ribena on to brew on 8th OCt, SG 1100, it seems to have slowed right down now, but there is still a wee bit of action. I've taken another reading today and it's sitting at 1.010, making it a nice 11/12%. It still has a good strawberry taste and isn't too dry. I like my wine med/sweet so was thinking to stop and stabilise now. Is general concensus to let it ferment out completely then backsweeten, or do you think it would be fine to force stop it as it is?? :)

Hi guys

Is this drink fizzy/sparkling or still ????

Id like it fizzy if poss so do I just miss out the de-gas bit and not use stabilisers/campden tab ?

Cheers
Chris

I have one massive problem with the strawberry ribena wine!!!! 1 gallon is nowhere near enough!!!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: I decided to sample it with my friends this weekend!! We all loved it :thumb: There is now very little left and it hasn't even had a chance to get mature and get really really really good!!! this obviously means trouble when I make the next batch as it's faaaaar too moreish!!!! we all got very very :drunk: and ended up abusing a poor sweeping brush who accquired a pumpkin head and accompanied us to the pub on our night out....with various appendages attached!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Think I'll have to put at least 3 gallons on for next batch!! :whistle:

The tea replaces a 1/4 teaspoon of tanin ..which i think is supposed to add a depth to the taste of wine. The astringency from the tannins is what causes the dry and puckery feeling in the mouth. personally im not too keen on it and have started leaving it out ... especially in quick drinking wines :D

@blinkey which recipe did you use for your strawberry ribena wine? My gf doesn't like wine, so I said I would make a ribena one for her to see if I can convert her

1ltr bottle of Strawberry Ribena (not artificially sweetened must be 'Original').
1 teaspoon of citric acid or juice from one lemon.
1 Teaspoon yeast.
1 teaspoon of yeast nutrient.
680g of sugar.

Method

Boil ribena sugar and a ltr of water in pan for 5 mins
Pour into demijon (sterilised).(may wanna put abit of cold water in first)
Top up to the shoulder of the demijon with cold water.
add citric acid and stir
Check temp
add yeast nutrient and yeast
Shake, Fit airlock and leave.
Should ferment in a week or 2 depending on temp and yeast
(but my last took 4 weeks ???)
Then rack off CT, add ferm stop and Finnings and de-gas
next day back sweeten with ribena(I like about 100ml)
should clear in another couple of weeks
Bottle
Then dont tell her its alcoholic and giggle when she falls ova

well i gave this recipe a try, tho i only made 2 dj's of it, i used 1.5 ltrs of ribena to 7 ltrs water, now it took 5 weeks to finish, and to me it seems to lack body and vinocity ! yes i added tea for tannins and i added 2 tspoons of glycerin, and 1 ltr red grape juice, but still it tastes and feels more like an alcoholic fruit juice rarther than a wine !!

mogsie said:
and to me it seems to lack body and vinocity ! yes i added tea for tannins and i added 2 tspoons of glycerin, and 1 ltr red grape juice, but still it tastes and feels more like an alcoholic fruit juice rarther than a wine !!

You will never make anything like a red wine with body and vinocity out of anything but grapes and even then you will need some decent red wine variety of grape, desert grapes just won't do.

graysalchemy said:
mogsie said:
and to me it seems to lack body and vinocity ! yes i added tea for tannins and i added 2 tspoons of glycerin, and 1 ltr red grape juice, but still it tastes and feels more like an alcoholic fruit juice rarther than a wine !!

You will never make anything like a red wine with body and vinocity out of anything but grapes and even then you will need some decent red wine variety of grape, desert grapes just won't do.
yes i understand that, but i expected more than what it has ! i made a bueberry wine, from 100% blueberry juice + red grape juice, and that had much more body to it, tho slightly sherryish in its feel, i think the problem is from being cheap and using ribena, i think this would be much better if i used 100% blackcurrant juice, will try it,

Back