best lager kit ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stee41

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just gone to AG brewing but until I get my head around the whole process I will keep brewing the odd kit, so...
I am after a really good lager kit, I tried Coopers European and wasnt that struck on it, the lagers I go for are the likes of, Stella, Grolsch, Miller,...cant stand Budweiser its way too sweet for me, so does anyone have a recommendation for me?

cheers fellow brewers

I've brewed alot of the coopers kits and they are very drinkable, I've done 2 draught, 2 lager,canadian blonde, cerveza, european lager(still in the bottles, not yet ready), they are ok but if I'm honest I dont think I could tell them apart if it was a taste test. im sitting drinking the canadian blonde just now, its nice but I think they are all much the same,drinkable but nothing spectacular. Ive switched over to a tom caxton real ale and lager to see if thats any better.
If I were you I would try one of the milestone kits,for Xmas Ive brewed the dasher the flasher and its dee-lish, I'd give that a try, although its more of an ale its very nice. i expect the other milestone kits will be similar. I've still got to brew the tom caxton lager and one final coopers cerveza, i might try a milestone old home wreckker or lions pride after that.

Hi there Stee41

I really have to agree with Cussword there, Coopers European Lager really is the way to go, 'with a little tweak' or two.

If you really enjoy Wifebeater (Stella :sick: ), Grolsh or suchlike, go for the CEL, and go with a fermentable such as Light Spray Malt instead of Granulated Sugar. To ferment it, try using a Saflager Yeast ( not cheap, about four quid) and you won't go far wrong.

I had friends around a few nights ago and we finished a brew I made last November. It was enjoyment all round.

Cheers Neil :thumb:

Coopers canadian is easily as good as stella - especially compared to the limp wristed **** that you get in tesco these days.
just brewed up a batch with honey - still conditioning but early tasting says it's goooooood

coopers mexican..........bit sweet but all my mates liked it (made as per the can with be2)
coopers canadien (1).....more of bitter taste not as gassy (made as per with be1)
coopers pilsner............not too impressed but suppose its only 6 weeks old. (as per can)
coopers heritage lager..Very dark looks like 70/ still to try it (made as per can malt extract)
coopers lager..............right colour still to try
coopers canadien (2)....lighter colour than 1, initial taste seems right made with brewing sugar

so far i'm leaning towards canadien made with 1kg brewing sugar.

the samples I have tried of the pilsner and heritage lager tasted more like beer. (the brown stuff.)

coopers europeen takes 3 months to condition

Coopers heritage made with light malt extract tastes nothing like lager - tastes like beer, the brown stuff.
coopers lager two weeks old and ok actualy. will buy again

Well I let the Coopers European condition for 2 months and it was really quite good, the Canadian has just been put into the FV with Saaz, brew sugar added, will see how that goes, trying the Coopers pilsner next but need to see what hops to add!! any ideas here?

Anyone know if these coopers lager kits come with lager yeast?

I fancy doing a lager. Likely to add extra fermentables to beef it up a bit and may dry hop but i would like to take advantage of the cold weather and do it with lager yeast. Trying to save the heating bill ;)

Thanks all
Tricky.

Tricky said:
Anyone know if these coopers lager kits come with lager yeast?

I fancy doing a lager. Likely to add extra fermentables to beef it up a bit and may dry hop but i would like to take advantage of the cold weather and do it with lager yeast. Trying to save the heating bill ;)

Thanks all
Tricky.

The euro lager and pilsner kits both come with true lager yeasts :thumbsup:

what, no mention of brewferms pils??? cracking little lager when made according to info- no secondary high temp ferment and lots of time in cool garage = hell of a yummy lager, beats stella everytime- v floral yet good

Ive recently started drinking my coopers European Lager after about 10 weeks in the bottle. I made it with 1kg of the recommended brew enhancer. You are supposed to leave it 12 weeks.

It is relatively clear just with a few wee yeasty bits floating around in it, not enough to make it cloudy.

It is refreshing but almost tasteless when drunk cold.

It comes with lager yeast but the instructions tell you to ferment at 18 -27 degrees C. I fermented at 20-21 C. I did not know any better at the time as it was my second kit. Im finding their Australian Pale Ale a tastier brew (my third brew) that said it is not as good as I was hoping for.

Bit of food for thought there. Nice one gents.

Since last week, i'm completely obsessed with lagering. Thinking of doing one of the following very, very soon:

Brewferm gold + dry hop with Hallertauer pellets + 500g extra light DME
Brewferm Pils + dry hop with saaz pellets + 500g extra light DME
Muntons Gold Pilsner - Probably leave alone but may do with Saflager Yeast S-23
Coopers Australian + Saflager Yeast S-23, Hallertauer pellets, BE1
Coopers Cerveza. + Saflager Yeast S-23, Hallertauer pellets, BE1

So thats my plan anyways. Can anyone foresee any problems? I've put a bit of thought into it but i'm still new to this so i'm completely open to suggestions. i've never dry hopped either so if anyone could share there experiences that would be good. I havn't a clue how much i need to add either. I've chosen pellets just because they'll keep longer i guess.

Anybody get round to doing the Brewers spring pilsner? Iv'e just got one on and absolutely no krausen after 48 hours :wha: Big thick layer of **** at the bottom of the FV though, but i'm thinking that the Bentonite the kit said to add had just caused all the yeast to drop out? Followed all instructions and would appreciate a bit of advice. I do have another packet of coopers i can pitch if required?? :wha:

Does it use a true lager yeast? If so it'll be bottom fermenting and thus acts differently from an ale yeast. (Eggy smell, not much krausen, visible activity at the bottom).

Latest posts

Back