best lager kit ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On reading this particular post I just bought a Coopers Australian Pale Ale Kit (1.7kg tin) and the website suggested a Light Malt Extract in the bundle (a 1.5kg LME tin arrived with my APA kit). My only experience is with household sugar in my previous newb brewing so Im not sure how to proceed as there are no instructions what so ever on the LME tin. Any help greatly appreciated on mix/ratio/instructions? So to recap I have the APA tin, the LME tin and the 7gm yeast sachet that came with the tin. Thanks in advance folks.

alzybob said:
On reading this particular post I just bought a Coopers Australian Pale Ale Kit (1.7kg tin) and the website suggested a Light Malt Extract in the bundle (a 1.5kg LME tin arrived with my APA kit). My only experience is with household sugar in my previous newb brewing so Im not sure how to proceed as there are no instructions what so ever on the LME tin. Any help greatly appreciated on mix/ratio/instructions? So to recap I have the APA tin, the LME tin and the 7gm yeast sachet that came with the tin. Thanks in advance folks.

Just use the LME instead of Sugar and/or Spraymalt (DME). That's not to say you can't also use those in addition to the LME, just that you don't especially need to.

Thanks gavH, do you know if it should be the whole 1.5kg tin of LME? The Coopers APA instructions say 1kg of sugar so would it be a straight 1 to 1 swap hence 1kg of LME?

Must be the time of year, I've just put a lager on. My LHBS does their own range of kits, 2 cans of LME plus 2 muslin bags of hops/grains to boil up. The lager "Foresters Pilsner" has just come out, so I put it on over Xmas, now sat at 12C bubbling away nicely, the sample I tried in the shop was amazing:
http://www.forestersarmsales.co.uk/page2.html

If anyone's ever in Cheltenham, call into Pops Homebrew and sample one of his kits, they're very good.

Back