Hop Growing 2011

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aleman

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm getting three brewers gold rhizomes to replace the fuggles that drowned last year

Piccies and updates will follow . . . feel free to add your own updates on your hop growing efforts on here . . . Not you Barry yours are just too good :lol:

I've moved my two fuggles from pot to back border now.......chucked in a full bag of nicely rotted manure, so hopefully they'll do well this year.
I grew them from rhizomes that you sent me Tony, just let me know if you want a 'split' back at any point ;)

Good luck to all who are 'growing for it' this year :clap:

2010 North West Leicestershire Goldings (NWLG) in the freezer and have served well in a blonde ale (Golden Charriot) and a porter (Batty Battle-Axe) combined with Boadicea hop. They are a hops reversal pair, with NWLG bittering the blonde and Boadicea bittering the porter (vice versa for flavour/aroma).

Intend to build hops drying mesh trays in the loft for the 2011 crop.

Read on a hops review website that Goldings can also be used as a novel twist in a lager - anyone tried this?

Chucked lots of composted grains on top of mine on Wednesday, I need to put a couple lines down for them to grow up, the fuggle didn't seem to like the trellis last year.

We've got some hops growing up a tree in our orchard which come back every year that my dad planted in the 1970's (he thinks, may have been early 80's). Now that I'm into brewing, I'll have to harvest some next year. No idea what the variety are. Mind you, I'll have to get my **** in gear and understand how to brew beer other than using a kit first! :D

He pointed them out to me late last year when I started to think about getting into home brewing. Being 'wild' (if you see what I mean) their 'buds' or whatever they are correctly called, looked smaller than the dried stuff you can buy, but then if I'd been in our orchard, being nibbled by sheep for the last twenty years, I'd be a bit smaller as well! Crushing one in your finger, they certainly smelled 'hoppy' enough.

Mine are yet to show signs of life... almost forgotten about them tbh!

Theres a wild hop about a 10min walkd away, I'm going to take some cuttings when spring has sproinged and plant them t'other side of the garage to do battle with neighbours grape vines (that I also took some cuttings from :D )

Aleman said:
. . . Not you Barry yours are just too good :lol:

Ha, just saw this! It'll be quite a few months before I'd have any pics to post. I can show a sad snow covered garden if that helps!

-baz

Transferred mine (second season) from the pot to the ground yesterday. Was the first day this year that the garden had been dry enough to walk over!

Back