Hop Growing 2011

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prompted me to have a look. 3 or 4 Goldings shoots showing in raised bed. Let's hope we get a warm spring and a dry late-summer!

I want to grow some :) only because I heard they are climbers (big gap I want covered) and there is a lovely patch in garden that they can have but my mum said they are really hard to grow and not to bother :)

sooooooooo with me being a taurus I was wondering what is the best one to try and grow ? so I can put them in this patch :)

I really want to grow them hehe she will love it in the end :D

or am I too late to try to grow any? or is it poss to buy seedlings already started?

EDIT

I have 2 goats so I get good compost :)

Cider Minx said:
I want to grow some :) only because I heard they are climbers (big gap I want covered) and there is a lovely patch in garden that they can have but my mum said they are really hard to grow and not to bother :)

sooooooooo with me being a taurus I was wondering what is the best one to try and grow ? so I can put them in this patch :)

I really want to grow them hehe she will love it in the end :D

or am I too late to try to grow any? or is it poss to buy seedlings already started?

EDIT

I have 2 goats so I get good compost :)

I've heard goat "compost'" is no good for plants??

Heres s link for hop plants - http://www.willingham-nurseries.co.uk/hop.html

thanks for link :thumb:

well I have 10 compost bins all mixed for diff stuff

we have goat poo, horse poo, bark, veg, leaf

I thought goat poo was good as it holds the water in soil for veg and plants to grow :/

:wha:

Cider Minx said:

I thought goat poo was good as it holds the water in soil for veg and plants to grow :/

Not 100% sure about goat 'poo' as i once chucked 2 bags of the stuff on my grapefruit tree and it almost killed it - my turkish neighbor dug it all away from the plant indicating i shouldnt use the stuff. Used to use pelleted chicken poo whe i had an allotment in Uk tho' thats good stuff but expensive unless you got your own supply - lol

screamlead said:
Cider Minx said:

Not 100% sure about goat 'poo' as i once chucked 2 bags of the stuff on my grapefruit tree and it almost killed it - my turkish neighbor dug it all away from the plant indicating i shouldnt use the stuff. Used to use pelleted chicken poo whe i had an allotment in Uk tho' thats good stuff but expensive unless you got your own supply - lol

yeh we are getting chickens also as we need that poo :) the goat poo seems to do our veg good they love it (if you think about it my goats eat veg so it is just that already broken down so it can't be that bad for the plants and veg) :cool: maybe someone else will be along to say whats best to put on hops when growing :D

evanvine said:
I don't put anything on mine, they grow like Twitch anyway! :eek:

O.K I will try with nothing....................just told my dad I wanna grow hops on the small patch out front, he said...................oh do it on the car park instead if u want :D its a hugeeeeeeeee bit of un-used land :) just hope they grow now :) its sunny and my work wall to climb up :) yay

Yeah, they grow like crazy anyway. I cant imagine any kind of poo being bad for plants so long as its composted. If it isnt it might burn the roots.

I now have an allotment so will have plant a wild one that I spotted late last year and see what it does.

we have life! challenger doing well
IMG00228-20110304-1009.jpg

few q's :)

1. if I get hops which is the best to start with?
2. can you grow different kinds in one area or do they not like mixing?
3. how much yeild do you get with 1 root?
4. how long till growth from a root? (do you yeild on 1st year or do you wait 3 years like a seed?)
5. is mesh fence good to grow up? (in germany I see them grown on ropes)

sorry but I want to make sure I don't :cry: on my 1st attempt of growing :)

I was looking at the pilsner hops forgot the name though

edit^^^ it's the 'Saaz' - Noble hop made famous by Pilsner Urquell

1, Anyone you want to grow.
2, You'll need some spacing inbetween so you know which crop is which.
3, First year can vary from 20g to 400grm I got the high some here only got the lower, Think 2 ton of horse manuare helped me.
4, They be shooting now, they'll grow up to 5 mtrs tall and be thin first year second year should be alot bushier.
5, Mesh fence, Trellis, ropes all good just don't forget they'll take up alot of fence per root.

My build for last years crops http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=6019

the bit of land for them is around 30ft x 15ft

I am going to read that thread thanks that will b a great help :thumb:

also when I buy a root are they deffo going to be girls or do I need a male 4 them 2 grow the fruit? or do they self pollenate?

I'm looking at that root thread aswell :cheers:

I can't buy the root from that link I don't know what I'm doing wrong :( I want the 'santaim' :(

I can buy honeysuckle though lol grrrrr :cry:

^^ just noticed I have 2 sign up to find out when any are ready lol :oops:

Latest posts

Back