Best Turbo Cider to date

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Babybrewer , I just followed the basic recipe of here but just substituted 1ltr of apple juice for pineapple.

Did the same with a cranberry and an exotic fruits juice.

Will let it settle a bit more next time, and get less yeast in bottles and condition longer and chill more......I need to chill more.

Cheers,Spud

Started this on Monday night. SG1052
Has slowed right down. Now G1000
Should I leave in demijohn for a few days or just bottle.
OP mentioned 992 FG.

hi titch,leave it for a while & check with a hydro for the same reading 2 days running to make sure it has finished.when it is clearing to approx 1/2 way down fv, bottle or keg.

I hope you don't mind if you use this recipe in my next batch ( I love ginger)

think i had too much lemon in my scalled down version

its still sour to taste

might have to try again with ginger only

I'm gonna have a go at this I think. I'm not really a cider drinker (at the mo) but by the sounds of things this might convert me. What do people normally bottle into? Grolsch type flip tops, used 500mls PETs from other fizzy drinks, or something else?

Also, I couldn't find crystallised stem ginger, so I got ginger in syrup. The chunks are rather big (approx 2cmx2cm). Will this do, or should I use something else?

Thanks.

Hello all, I am making some TC using the 'best TC to date' recipe. I have never made it before, so I just shoved all the ingredients in. That was a weak ago, and things have slowed down and it has started to clear. I am about to bottle it into 568mL empty Magners bottles. I am assuming I add some sugar into the bottles, then shove in the cider and wait. Please help answer the following questions:

1. How much sugar should I put in
2. How much of a gap should I leave at the top
3. What is the risk of explosions
4. Have I left it too long before bottling

Thank you for your help with these questions

Hi Banksy,
1.1tsp sugar
2.about an inch or so.
3.never had one yet,so i would say minimal.
4.no,anytime in the next week or so will be fine.
hope this helps and you enjoy :cheers: ken.

It's not a stupid question - coz I have terrible trouble getting stuff to carbonate.
Sugar in first, sugar in last, mix with sugar in intermediate vessel; granulated, caster: totally random results!
I suspect I've sometimes left bottling too late, and there's just not enough yeast left.
Or maybe the plastic caps I've been using just don't seal well enough. Screwtop PETs seem better on the couple of times I've used them, which lends weight to that theory.
So I'm now bottling slightly earlier and have started using crown caps - and inverting the bottle after capping (a) to check the seal and (b) to get the priming sugar mixed in a bit. Yet to find out if it makes a difference.

boybyname said:
this sounds like a stupid question... but do i stir it before i bottle??

Hi BBN,
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your question, but you should not stir the demijohn with your TC in before you bottle it as this will disturb the sediment and you don't want to do that.

For some good basic info have a look at Moleys tutorials here and here. (I know it's not Turbo Cider but a lot of the principles are the same... except priming ;) ).

HTH,
Steve

Thanks for the help guys, finding these forums full of great tips and helpfull advice

I was just a bit confused by fermentall saying bottle when clearing comes halfway the fv. didnt know if that would mean i'd get 2 different tasting drinks, but im clearly just overthinking things here.

Hi BBN,
I think what Fermentall meant was that once the demijohn has cleared to that extent it's a good indication that fermentation has basically finished and you are o.k. to rack/bottle the TC.

I'm no expert (!!! :shock: :D) but I doubt you'll get two different tasting drinks although I would imagine there will be slightly more final sediment in the bottles that were filled last from the DJ... just drink those bottles last ;)

haha well im still a long way away from any of this :P not even been a week yet.

this is pretty addictive stuff tho, need to constantly hold myself from buying more DJ's

Hi all, I have made (and drank) my first batch of TC using this recipe and it was AWESOME!! I don't even like cider, but I loved this drink. But I have a question...

- Should I only use SN9 yeast, or is there an alternative that I can buy in bulk?

If making in scaled down 1G volumes, adding a whole sachet at about £1.15 adds quite a lot to the total. Can I use my generic young's 'Dried Active Yeast'? I'm considering running both and doing a taste challenge. I'm also considering spitting the sachet between two DJs. I know we are told to use the whole, but I sure half a sachet would be fine...

Latest posts

Back