Re: Solomon Grundy Rose (and SG medium sweet white kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This was my second Solomon Grundy 6 bottle 7 day kit, i tried the medium sweet white first (my first ever home brew) and although drinkable it lacked taste in fact it was impossible to describe the taste.

My wife likes Rose wine so I decided to give the Solomon Grundy Rose kit a try, the instructions were easy to follow (see below) and the end result was very pleasant, the taste is that of a fruity rich rose and is very drinkable, my wife likes the taste and also the fact it is slightly dry, I normally drink medium sweet white wine so i back sweetened (see instructions below) one of the 2 litre bottles with 3 teaspoons of sugar and that did the trick.

If you decide to try this kit bear in mind the instructions are a little optimistic on time unless you have a heat pad or belt, the first kit (7 day kit) took 7 days to ferment to 995 and 2 to clear, this was probably because my kitchen was below 20c when the central heating was not on , i read in the forums the longer it takes the better it tastes so i was happy to wait an extra day or two

The 30 bottle kit was a different beast i assume because my kitchen was at 20c most of the time, it was so vigorous it nearly emptied the air lock on day 2 (i have a 25L bucket with a hole in the lid for an air lock) and it fermented to 995 in 5 days, i gave it an extra day to clear so it took 8 days, the end result was as good as the first kit, it is not going to get much time to mature. :D

One think to bear in mind if you like the 6 bottle kit and decide to try the 30 bottle kit is that the instructions differ when it comes to adding stabiliser e.t.c. for the 30 bottle kit you have to do it over a period of 2 hours as it is done in stages.

The instructions below are for the 6 bottle 7 day kit.

Instructions for the 30 bottle 7 day kit are here - http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... ctions.pdf

Starting Fermentation

Using a plastic funnel (if possible) pour 2 Litres (3 1/2 pints) of cold water, between
600gm and 770g of sugar (using 600gms will produce 10.5% Alcohol by
Volume, 770gms will produce 12.5% Alcohol by Volume) and the large container of
concentrate into a clean fermenting container. Then add 1.2 Litres (2 pints) of hot (not
boiling) water and shake the fermenting container until the sugar is fully dissolved.
Top up to 4.6 Litres (just over 1 gallon) with cold water, then add the sachets of WINE
YEAST, ACID REGULATOR and NUTRIENT. Shake well then fit bung and airlock (half
fill with cold water). Transfer the fermenting container somewhere warm between 21-26
C to ferment. Fermentation will be complete in 5 days providing the correct
temperature is maintained.

What to do at the end of fermentation

You must have a hydrometer if you want to make your wine in 7 days. If the hydrometer
reads below 995 then add the sachet of STABILISER (this will give off gas - do not
inhale). If making the Medium Sweet White table wine you should also add the
SWEETENER sachet.
Shake vigorously several times over the next two hours. This will remove all the carbon
dioxide gases which are present in the wine. This should be done for several minutes at
a time. Once degassed add the ADD BACK sachet. Shake well. Now add the
KIESELSOL sachet and shake for 10 seconds then leave to stand for 12-24 hours.

What to do 12-24 hours later

Add the sachet of CHITOSAN, swirl the fermentation container gently for 10 seconds.
Now leave somewhere cool to clear, this will normally take 1-2 days but wait until
completely bright before continuing otherwise a slight sediment may settle in your bottles.

What to do when your wine is completely bright

Carefully syphon the clear wine into another clean demijohn or container, taking care not
to disturb the sediment.

Last edited:
when you left to stand overnight, did you put the lid and bung and airlock back on? or did you leave it settling without lid?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 6 bottle kit in a DJ right now, the wife does like a nice Rose. I short filled initially but it's still been out of the airlock (and up the wall!) on 2 consecutive days. I had decent airlock action within about 30 minutes of pitching the yeast.

It looks very, errr, red in the DJ, only time will tell. At the very reasonable price I'm hoping it's as good as Chippy_Tea suggests.

As i have been making kits and supermarket juice wine for a while i have learned the most important lesson, don't expect your wines to taste amazing straight out of the DJ, a couple of weeks can make a huge difference especially to the supermarket juice wines, i find the rose types are drinkable with little maturing but the orange ones can be a bit rough so i put them away for as long as i can. (not much storage room unfortunately)

Let us know how it turns out. :thumb:

I left it for 9 days in a DJ before popping the stabilizer in. Shaking a full DJ to de-gas was rather amusing...

Left over night after adding the add back and Keisol. The following morning added the Chitosan and popped the DJ in the garage (concrete floor). Interesting to watch it drop bright over the next 24 hours. Waited about 36 hours before syphoning off to bottles. Easy for the first 4.5 bottles. The last 1.5 were more fun! Still I got a full 6 bottles.

Corked 5 bottles with a crappy hand corker (still have the marks on my hands). The 6th went uncorked into the fridge... and is mostly gone already! Considering it's 11 days since it went in the DJ it tastes very good. I've paid good money for worse, looking forward to see how it changes over the first few weeks.

I no longer make the SG kits, i found my local Range store sells a decent 30 bottle kit for £20, even if i didn't live close to one of their stores with postage it still comes out under the price of most cheap end 30 bottle kits.

My review is here - viewtopic.php?f=59&t=39942

I tried a second bottle last night. But I have to say I wasn't that impressed. It reminded me of when you've put too much cordial in a drink. SWMBO didn't like it either saying it tasted too strong. I can't decide if I was overly generous in my first tasting notes or if it has gotten worse.

The remaining 4 bottles are in the garage and will remain there until rediscovered after a house move (which is about a month away.... :tongue: )

Latest posts

Back