Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with chewie if you don't need to do a 23 litre batch stick to the 1 gallon ones until you are happy with the results and then go big, i have several DJ's on the go at various stages of fermentation so i never bother doing a big batch, i use my FV for the wineBuddy kits.

Yea that might be a good idea alright, that video is great for a brewing dummy like me as I can follow every step..

Have a read of post one in this thread i added a few comments about what the guy says in the video you might find useful.

Hi I have just finished my WOW I have done the finnings do I rack to a other Demijohn then bottle it or do I leave it a bit longer in the demijohn after racking

20170329_151523.jpg

Depends how impatient you are.

If you leave it in the dj the sediment will pack down a bit better. You could just bottle direct from this using a sediment trap. I normally rack off the sediment into a different container then bottle. Some like to filter as well. If I have a 30 bottle batch of 'good stuff' to filter then I tend to use the same filter and do some of this at the same time.

Sediment trap on your syphon is a must. Well for me it is.

Looks nice and bright, i would rack into something that you can bottle from, leave as much of that sediment as you can behind, don't let it cloud up and if you do let it sit till it clears again.

Hi I have just finished my WOW I have done the finnings do I rack to a other Demijohn then bottle it or do I leave it a bit longer in the demijohn after racking

Normally you rack to a second DJ, add stabiliser, degas then add finings you can do it all in the first DJ but some members do not like to leave the wine on the dead yeast any longer than the need to. and you stir what has already settled to the bottom back in.

Have tried my WOW the Red one very nice also the Memsahib likes it but find it a tiny bit sweet is there a way to make a bit more dryer. I must admit I have just bottled it would it get dryer if I leave it in the bottle a bit longer

Have tried my WOW the Red one very nice also the Memsahib likes it but find it a tiny bit sweet is there a way to make a bit more dryer. I must admit I have just bottled it would it get dryer if I leave it in the bottle a bit longer

Just ferment out longer to get a drier wine - what was your FG - your final reading on hydrometer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will not get drier if you have added stabiliser, if you haven't added stabiliser you should not have bottled it as you are creating potential bottle bombs.

This why why we ask people to take a hydrometer reading as it determines how far of being totally dry that the wine will feel like .990, anything above that will usually mean there is some sugars left in the wine thereby giving a medium/dry, medium or sweet wine.

If you stop it to early with stabiliser then you risk having something that you can't drink, if you let it go until it hits .990 you can always backsweeten with artificial sweeteners until you get to the degree of sweetness that you are happy with.

Supermarket Juice Wine Recipes and Wurzel's Orange Wine (WOW)

The original orange wine is a bit like Marmite some love it some don't, if you make it and don't like it do not be put off as there are many different juices you can use, Cranberry, Pomegranate and Raspberry based wines are very popular.

Some members are finding their supermarkets are not stocking White grape juice but have Red grape juice, Red grape juice goes well with apple, cranberry, pomegranate or raspberry juice.
Red grape juice does not make red wine it ends up like a shop bought Rosé wine.

In the video below he uses 1 litre of orange juice and 1 litre of white grape juice, this is fine if both juices are 100% juice, supermarket Pomegranate, cranberry and many other juices are less than 50% juice so you need to add two of these to one of 100% grape juice per Demijohn (DJ).

The two videos below show you the ingredients and the method.

Don't take too much notice of the time quoted for clearing as he intended to let it clear naturally (which can take several weeks) if you use KwiK Clear or youngs Clear It it only takes 48 hours.

Good luck. :thumb:

Part 1 -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpkXCowv2Ys[/ame]

A couple of minor mistakes in the Video -

Pectolase is used to reduce the risk of pectin haze.

Glycerine is added to improve mouth feel. (many member no longer use this as we found it doesn't actually make that much difference)

Leave more headspace in the Demijohn than in the video or it will come through the airlock (as it does in the video) and don't top up until until you have racked (syphoned) to the second DJ and degassed your wine, you need a bit of space when shaking the DJ to get rid of the CO2 and especially if using a drill attachment to degas it.

When racking to the second DJ he says it doesn't matter if a little sediment gets through as you will probably be re-racking again, there is no need to rack to a third DJ as your wine will be crystal clear after you have added finings (KwiK Clear or Youngs Clear It) to the second DJ.

Part 2 -

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQQdkS0JAw[/ame]

Rosé wine (A forum favourite)

1 litre Red grape juice.

1 litre Apple Juice.

800g Sugar.

1 tsp Tannin or a mug of very strong black tea. (3 bags stirred every couple of minutes as you put the rest of the ingredients together)

1 tsp Yeast (i use youngs super wine yeast compound)

1 tsp Yeast Nutrient.

1 tsp Pectolase.

1 tsp Glycerine. (optional)

1 tsp citric acid or juice of one lemon. (optional)

IDShot_225x225.jpg
5051413484562_280_IDShot_3.jpeg

Hi all,

I'm about to kick of my first WOW but I am stuggling to find any WGJ or RGJ. My guestion is this, Can Welch's 100% purple grape juce as an alternative?

The ingredients are as follows -
65% American concord grape juice and 35% Grape juice - total sugar = 165G per Ltr.

cheers Mark

Hi all,

I'm about to kick of my first WOW but I am stuggling to find any WGJ or RGJ. My guestion is this, Can Welch's 100% purple grape juce as an alternative?

The ingredients are as follows -
65% American concord grape juice and 35% Grape juice - total sugar = 165G per Ltr.

cheers Mark

I have used Welchs a few times. It is fine. If anything you will get a deeper colour.

I've set my first couple of experiments away - bubbling nicely #GDog reckons I may have went a bit mad on the sugar like:-

#1 (starting SG 1.100)
1ltr Asda RGJ
1ltr Asda Apple
1ltr Asda Summer Fruits
1 mug strong tea
800g sugar
1tsp yeast
1tsp nutrient
1tsp pectolase
water
will be adding stabaliser but not finings

#2 (starting SG 1.104)
1ltr Asda RGJ
1ltr Asda Pomegranate
1ltr Asda Pomegranate, Grape and Raspberry
1 mug strong tea
800g sugar
1tsp yeast
1tsp nutrient
1tsp pectolase
water
will be adding stabaliser but not finings

If you aim for 1100g of sugar in 4.5 litres you will end up around 13% you will have approximately 1200g in both so it'll be a bit higher.

So if i put 1200g of sugar in 4.5 litres What would the alcohol level be then on the rose type wine

I don't know how accurate this is but non of my DJ's hold exactly 4.5 litres so i have added a little.

ffffffff.jpg

Same here I do not know after fermentation I fill it up to the base of the neck tried to use the calculator above but it does not seem to work

Back