School bans sausage rolls

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know when it all went wrong

I do mate when proper game consoles came along that were so good you could spend hours playing games and not even notice the time had gone, when i was a nipper all we had was a bike (x-racer with big wide bars on for wheelies) and we spent every hour on them including riding them to and from school its no wonder proper fat kids were a rare sight back then and its not because we were all vegetarians and were careful what we ate either every house had a chip pan which was full of lard (non of this fancy vegetable oil) and we had chips with everything, we ate stuff sugar sandwiches because money was tight and there was no diet pop, we all stayed health because we burned the calories we put in and that is what the problem is today.

heston-blumenthal-how-to-make-hestons-triple-cooked-chips-recipe-easy-simple-method-recipes-20.jpg

Well I never. PDs plain. Can you still get them?

Not sure, i haven't smoked for many years so haven't looked at the sig counter properly for a long time (not that you can now) i remember the last time i looked at a pack of B&H (my favourite smoke) i nearly keeled over when i saw the price, i don't know how people can afford to smoke straights these days.

I do mate when proper game consoles came along that were so good you could spend hours playing games and not even notice the time had gone, when i was a nipper all we had was a bike (x-racer with big wide bars on for wheelies) and we spent every hour on them including riding them to and from school its no wonder proper fat kids were a rare sight back then and its not because we were all vegetarians and were careful what we ate either every house had a chip pans which was full of lard (non of this fancy vegetable oil) and we had chips with everything, we ate stuff sugar sandwiches because money was tight and there was no diet pop, we all stayed health because we burned the calories we put in and that is what the problem is today.

By jingo you've nailed it! Half the kids are lardarses these days yet they don't eat lard!! I used to be fascinated watching the snow-white lard melt in the chip pan! I think they should ban video games and go back to our old eating habits to cure the childhood obesity plague, what what?

terrym , my ol' man lived on lard, fried cheese and onion, 10 pints of beer and 60 Park Drive a day. Got to 63 and it wasn't the Big C which took him out but a heart attack - not bad, all things considered, and he missed out on the adult nappy years. Eat, drink and be merry etc and why not?

Those were the days, used to be able to buy a single park drive and a match at the corner shop 200 yards from the junior school when i were a lad, non of this health dinner (at 12:00) for us it was a pie and a fag, proper dinner time..

Park_drive_special_virginia_s_20_b_england.jpg

Poncy:whistle::lol:
A single Willy Woodbine 2d, a Players weigh 2.1/2d, Senior Service 3d :lol:

My granddad smoked full strength capstan even when i was a 30 a day smoker i wouldn't fancy smoking a full one.

The health waning on these should have been much bigger :lol:

Capstan_navy_cut_full_strength_s_20_b_england.jpg

ahh I remember them sugar butties with Stork margarine, and connie onnie butties (condensed milk sandwiches to you from down south!).

You're right we ate loads of what might now be thought of as unhealthy, but we never stopped running around, climbing, fighting etc! I think we had one fat kid in our school!

I once blocked up the taps in the bathroom at home with Lifebouy red soap. My dad was so ****** off he made me eat the whole bar of soap! I'm sure that wasn't a healthy diet!

eee! them where the days!

Condensed milk was the business, remember waiting for your mam to finish with the cake mixing bowl so you could eat all the stuff stuck to the sides, heaven.

When you think back it was a good job we did get lots of excercise imagine how fat we would have been with that diet. :lol:

My granddad smoked full strength capstan even when i was a 30 a day smoker i wouldn't fancy smoking a full one.

My dad smoked these, and when I was twelve he found out I was smoking. He took me to one side and gave me a Capstan Full Strength, and told me to smoke it - thinking I'd be sick. I smoked it all, inhaling it as well, and when I finished I asked him for another! That's when he gave me a belting!

The sad thing is that they impose these bans but they dont teach children properly about food and also how to cook for themselves. I grew up with £2 per day for lunch which went on 1p sweets on the way to school. However i understood that i could do this because i did a lot of sport and also that i could go home and cook for myself when i needed. No one should ever be denied a sausage roll but kids should be taught they have to get outside and run around to balance that out. But thats the same with a sausage roll or a large pot of hummus and breadsticks....

Trouble is there were no health warnings then, and the tar and and other s**t in there would have been sky high compared to today's cigs. I remember buying a pack of these from time to time. Although a regular smoker if I took too much in too quickly my head would spin, unlike any other cigs. Happy days...or perhaps not. :doh:.

When I was a youth who had just discovered the joys of smoking, I developed an obsession with trying every cigarette ( and saving the empty pack) known to all of humanity. Well I only got as far as the ones that were available in the UK but I do remember being afraid to try the Capstans. Could probably do ten before breakfast, these days... or maybe not!

Latest posts

Back