Keg pressure?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dicko

Reaction score
Hi all.
Never used a keg before so need some help on using co2. How long should I inject for?

Cheers

Dicko

i suspect you mean a pressure barrel as your talking about injection, a keg or corny is usually hooked up to a constant regulated co2 supply.

if using a bulb injector its a one shot deal, you dump the full bulb in one, with an S30 screw on bottle, give it a second or 2, the prv will dump excess pressure but you probably wont hear it working over the sound of the bottles injection, but its a just a quick blast you give it ;)

i suspect you mean a pressure barrel as your talking about injection, a keg or corny is usually hooked up to a constant regulated co2 supply.

if using a bulb injector its a one shot deal, you dump the full bulb in one, with an S30 screw on bottle, give it a second or 2, the prv will dump excess pressure but you probably wont hear it working over the sound of the bottles injection, but its a just a quick blast you give it ;)

Hi fil thanks for the response.

It's a king keg with s30 screw on bottle. So basically I can't put to much pressure in as it will just release it if I do with no damage to the barrel. Is that right?

Cheers

Dicko

In theory ... yes.. But if you bang in excessive pressure you will have a mighty frothy pour to deal with.

also the prv's employed are simple elastic bands closing of vents and as such are not exactly precise and acurate, so 1 pb may contain 2-4psi more or less than the next pb..

successful PB use requires gaining a few 'knacks' and a bit of on the fly judgement. cracking a barrel tap when the pb is at max pressure is a real knack of tap adjustment that i never managed to master, lever taps are a lot less faf, and i understand a proper dalex style tap refit is the bees knees with its nice clean on/off's ..

after a few brews through you will gain the feel for your pb, and when you upgrade to 2 x (if you do) then you will need to discover the character of that barrel too..

In theory ... yes.. But if you bang in excessive pressure you will have a mighty frothy pour to deal with.

also the prv's employed are simple elastic bands closing of vents and as such are not exactly precise and acurate, so 1 pb may contain 2-4psi more or less than the next pb..

successful PB use requires gaining a few 'knacks' and a bit of on the fly judgement. cracking a barrel tap when the pb is at max pressure is a real knack of tap adjustment that i never managed to master, lever taps are a lot less faf, and i understand a proper dalex style tap refit is the bees knees with its nice clean on/off's ..

after a few brews through you will gain the feel for your pb, and when you upgrade to 2 x (if you do) then you will need to discover the character of that barrel too..

Having never used a pressure barrel before I was a little concerned I was gonna damage it in some way.

Thanks for your help fil:thumb:

I found a good way of judging this is giving your empty PB a squirt before putting your brew in, its surprising how little gas it takes to make your barrel bulge. It’s also a handy way of checking your fittings are gas tight before putting your brew in.

I found a good way of judging this is giving your empty PB a squirt before putting your brew in, its surprising how little gas it takes to make your barrel bulge. It’s also a handy way of checking your fittings are gas tight before putting your brew in.

Good tip. I'll give give that a try.

Back