Cwtch by Tiny Rebel Brewery

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stunning brew for a kit this! Big bitter robustness, lovely dark colour, proper hoppy bite to it, I was in the shed earlier there's 5 bottles left after Christmas and new year, everyone who tried it came back for more! This should definitely have a bigger buzz surrounding it I'm tempted to say it's the best kit out of the dozen or so I've made. Highly recommended.

I brewed this while I was in-between breweries! Great kit, was very impressed and much of it got drunk on NYE even though it hadn't fully cleared in the corny yet. +1 Highly recommended.

DA

I've just racked this kit.. TBH it was like muddy water in the bottle, maybe because of all the hops added... its now been racked 4 days so checked the bottles and there seems to be a lot of sediment, even holding onto the sides of the bottle in a few places is this normal with this kit ?

I've just racked this kit.. TBH it was like muddy water in the bottle, maybe because of all the hops added... its now been racked 4 days so checked the bottles and there seems to be a lot of sediment, even holding onto the sides of the bottle in a few places is this normal with this kit ?

I racked mine off into another bucket through a muslin bag first, then I used finings and let it settle for a few days before bottling so it was fine. I learned a lesson on my very previous brew that used pellet dry hops and that was very muddy in the bucket and despite cold crashing it it didn't settle out as well as I'd have liked, hence racking off this time.
It's not the kit it's the hops, but give it a few weeks in the cold after it's carbonated and I'm sure it'll be fine

Only 4 bottles left of this cracking brew, I'll have to get another on soon

IMG_0938.jpg

Just got my kit made up, smells very nice. Had a cheeky taste from the trial jar as well, looking forward to this one. Seems a bit strange doing a can kit as last 2 brews have been extract, be interesting to see how this stacks up.

Have been on the look out in supermarkets for the bottles but never seen any, tends to be the same stuff in them all.

Did you still chuck the 2nd lot of hops in after 4 days? Will be leaving it for 2 weeks like normal.

Spray malt or brewing sugar to prime? I have both already

Just got my kit made up, smells very nice. Had a cheeky taste from the trial jar as well, looking forward to this one. Seems a bit strange doing a can kit as last 2 brews have been extract, be interesting to see how this stacks up.

Have been on the look out in supermarkets for the bottles but never seen any, tends to be the same stuff in them all.

Did you still chuck the 2nd lot of hops in after 4 days? Will be leaving it for 2 weeks like normal.

Sold in the co-op in Wales. Thy have this in tap in the beer festival I am going to tomorrow. Still haven't bought this kit, one day.

I let the fermentation fall right off before I added the 2nd hops, about 6 days, then let it steep till day 14, I racked it off the sediment through a muslin bag to strain out the hop debris into a second bucket and then added finings for 2-3 days iirc. then I bottled using 4-5g table sugar per 500ml bottle.

I don't know about you, but my experience with pellet dry hopping is that managing the sediment can be a proper pita, hence the finings. As it turned out I got very little sediment in the bottles and it was a cracking brew, bitter and very hoppy.
Recently started biab partial mash but I'll be putting another Cwtch kit on next weekend for quaffing stock, great brew, the best kit I've done :)

I notice someone mentioned it has quite vigorous fermentation. I started mine a day ago and while there was some initial frothing and airlock activity it seems to have died off. It is about 18°C and OG was 1.030.

Is 1.030 quite low? Also should I be seeing more activity?

Edit, just took another reading and is 1.042 now

Update 19-02 All looks to be okay now, maybe just slow starting.

I notice someone mentioned it has quite vigorous fermentation. I started mine a day ago and while there was some initial frothing and airlock activity it seems to have died off. It is about 18°C and OG was 1.030.

Is 1.030 quite low? Also should I be seeing more activity?

Edit, just took another reading and is 1.042 now

Update 19-02 All looks to be okay now, maybe just slow starting.

just bottled , cleared with wilko beer clear , left in secondary a week , still like muddy water, Never bottled a beer like this before , they have all ways been very clear on bottling, maybe should have left another two weeks in secondary FV. Should clear in bottle if previous posts are correct.::-?

I'm already impressed with this kit: 2 tins of LME, 4 bags of hops, and most importantly 2 x 6g packets of yeast. Most other kits made by Muntons only have 1 x 6g packet of yeast, so glad they've realised this isn't enough.

Interesting/unusual brewing process: steeping the first 2 bags of hops in the FV in boiled water and then adding the extract on top. Guess they're trying to keep in simple "one pot cooking".

Tiny%20Rebel%20Cwtch_zpscsjmpoq8.jpg

''Tis a great kit! It needs a bit more management than a bog standard kit what with the hop pellets during fermentation, and the dry hop. It really helps to have a second bucket to do a secondary, and a bag or net to filter through beforehand. This is a stunning brew considering it comes out of a box, but then with all those hops that's no surprise really.

I'm already impressed with this kit: 2 tins of LME, 4 bags of hops, and most importantly 2 x 6g packets of yeast. Most other kits made by Muntons only have 1 x 6g packet of yeast, so glad they've realised this isn't enough.

Interesting/unusual brewing process: steeping the first 2 bags of hops in the FV in boiled water and then adding the extract on top. Guess they're trying to keep in simple "one pot cooking".

Tiny%20Rebel%20Cwtch_zpscsjmpoq8.jpg

Hi mate.
I've noticed that going for almost 25 quid in local brew shop, going by the web that ain't bad as it avoids post and packaging.
How many grams of hops in total?

They tell you to add the first 60g which is 30g Citra and 30g Columbus when pitching yeast, doesn't this go against most advice of the fermentation driving out the flavours??
Anybody have any advice on this?

They tell you to add the first 60g which is 30g Citra and 30g Columbus when pitching yeast, doesn't this go against most advice of the fermentation driving out the flavours??
Anybody have any advice on this?

I thought it a bit odd, but I did it as per instructions and it turned out great.

Very, very impressed with this kit. :thumb:

It's reassuring in a sense. I did a Batemans clone porter today and just poured the wort into the fv. I tried the sieve but it left so much lovely beer in there I poured the ******* in.
So when.i see this thread and the instructions for putting hops in with the lme at the begining it puts my mind d at ease. It'll just sit as trub anyway. I might just do away with the damn colander/sieve thing now.

It's reassuring in a sense. I did a Batemans clone porter today and just poured the wort into the fv. I tried the sieve but it left so much lovely beer in there I poured the ******* in.
So when.i see this thread and the instructions for putting hops in with the lme at the begining it puts my mind d at ease. It'll just sit as trub anyway. I might just do away with the damn colander/sieve thing now.
I don't think it does any harm and I still think it adds flavour and aroma regardless of general opinion,people rave about this kit so it must do something right 👍

Back