Simple All Grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To answer the last 2 replies.
The crushed grain was purchased in early December but has been stored in a cool place since then.
No, the grain was not agitated much.
The mash was between 63 and 68 degrees for 70mins. I had one DS18B20 sensor in the centre of the mash.

- The longer grain is stored more more potential it has for losing efficiency

- Personally I've found that agitating (stirring) the mash particularly important to getting a half decent efficiency. I stir my mash every 20 mins in a 60 min mash.

These two combined could have led to your poor efficiency. Poor efficiency is one thing that new AG brewers seem to initially struggle with (I did too when I started AG), until they work out/tweek the variables to a get better efficiency

I dunk sparge and have had far far better results since i started doing it. I give the grains a stir now and then whilst dunked for 10/15 mins:thumb:

+1 to what MyQul and chub1 said, more stirring and dunk sparging should help.

Although I can't help thinking these won't make up for such a low efficiency as I know brewers who do neither and still have successful brews. I would have thought they'd make 10% difference at best, although happy to be proved wrong.

+1 to what MyQul and chub1 said, more stirring and dunk sparging should help.

Although I can't help thinking these won't make up for such a low efficiency as I know brewers who do neither and still have successful brews. I would have thought they'd make 10% difference at best, although happy to be proved wrong.
i also give the bag a damn good squeeze as well:mrgreen:

Back