Gout.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I used to get this in my big toe on the right foot not long before i started making home made wine it lasted about a week and was so painful i had to take time off work, i have not had it since, this of course may be just a coincidence.

this flared up for me last spring...

it was bloody sore in a wet cold tent at the spring thing... :shock:

over last summer i got rid of the pain with 5 pints of squash a day ...easy when its warm ,
and some cherries and pineapple...
but over winter it seems to flare up in the big toe again... :(

artyb said:
this flared up for me last spring...

it was bloody sore in a wet cold tent at the spring thing... :shock:

over last summer i got rid of the pain with 5 pints of squash a day ...easy when its warm ,
and some cherries and pineapple...
but over winter it seems to flare up in the big toe again... :(

That's because the crystals form at lower temperatures, hence why people get it in the hands and feet most.

Well, this first real experince of gout was a few weeks ago, although I have had possible episodes in the past (toes) as an enthusiatic drinker and an obsessive runner (2.38 marathon for a fat kid with no athletic talents). I wrestled first thing in the morning for a bit with an umberella in the wind, Mary Poppins style, and noticed that my hand got increasingly more painful for the rest of the day.

The Doc I saw the following morning knew it was gout and prescribed accordingly.

The main thing with gout is that it is caused by a build up of uric acid in the blood.

This is caused by the processing of chemicals known as "purines" from food intake.

Clever daughter tells me purines are a by product of anaerobic respiration (which means "breathing for yeasts").

Unsurprisingly, therefore, the main contributing factor to the condition known as gout is, for our purposes, ingesting (eating) brewers yeast cells.

So - don't drink the bit at the bottom of the bottle and consider a routine racking to a secondary FV to reduce the yeast tranference to bottles, kegs etc.

Gout bloody hurts, comparable to that from running the London to Brighton foot race, so take note, please, especially those not yet afflicted.

I used to get it in my big toe when drinking cheap white wine but since making my own I have never suffered, is there something in cheap shop bought wine that could cause this?

Hi All,
I get attacks mainly in winter too. Purines are the main cause as mentioned earlier, unfortunately most of my favourite things are high in them ie Marmite, kippers, smokies, offal, liquorice apparently and of course beer. Life's not fair !.
Cheers.

Just adding to this. I was told I have gout by my Dr today after I was unable to walk properly. The walk to my GP surgery was torturous and then had to walk up to the chemist to get the steroids he prescribed me.
I don't feel I drink a lot, during the week I will have one 500ml bottle of home brew about 4 nights out of 5 and at the weekend I will have 2 beers saturday and sunday. Does this mean my beer brewing days are over? What if i brewed a cherry wine, would that be beneficial to easing the gout and stop flare ups (with alterations in the diet to include less red meat et)?
Honestly, the pain today has been really bad :?

Does this mean my beer brewing days are over? What if i brewed a cherry wine, would that be beneficial to easing the gout and stop flare ups (with alterations in the diet to include less red meat et)?

Reduce alcohol

Drinking too much alcohol has been associated with gout for many years. However, it is uncertain how it may be related. Some types of alcohol, particularly beer, contain high levels of purines, which could be an indirect cause of gout Alternatively, alcohol's association with gout could be due to it's contribution to obesity through excessive consumption. Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram and so drinking too much alcohol can lead to weight gain.
There is more risk of gout attacks from drinking beer compared to spirits, and wine drinking in moderation has no associated risk.

hmm... I thought I was too young to join this thread....

but after going to the docs after having a sore/swollen finger for a few months and having some blood analysed... turns out it's gout :doh:

They did a few other tests on the red stuff and my Gamma K reading on my liver was slightly raised too.

Hence the 'do you drink more than the recommended 14 units per week' question... hmm considering a litre of my recent Strawberry WOW is about 12 units, then that's probably likely.

Looks like I'll have to be a bit stricter during the week (none) and not go too bonkers at the weekend :pray::cheers:

I have just visited an old friend of mine who is a recently retired doctor and even he has just had a nasty bout recently. apparently the above mentioned drugs soon sorted it out, but like me, he also found out his blood pressure could launch a moon rocket, and the the 'ol prostate was not in great shape!

Blood pressure taken,

Are you feeling ok Mr brumbrew?

I feel fine

No headaches or anything?

No

Well your Blood pressure is sky high.

Well I did cycle here.

Ok come back first thing in the morning. (I live 2 mins away - downhill)

Oh by the way, apart from my sore throat my big toe hurts, explains homebrew obsession.

Could be the cause, but high blood pressure also won't help.

Just my experience.

Kicking cheap wine and overly cloudy beer to the kerb did the trick, as did less salt and more water.

So must be a mix, it takes all sorts to make a world....

Right had a severe pain in the big toe, "like a cramp that would not go or needed the joint to crack" had this probably half a dozen times in the past few years. A had two episodes in the past 7 days when a colleague at work suggested it might be Gout, my first thoughts were "as if" but on a little research yesterday evening I decided to visit the doctors today and guess what, Gout. Need to have a blood test but the doc was convinced enough to prescribe allopurinol 2 tablets a day for the rest of my life.

the doc was convinced enough to prescribe allopurinol 2 tablets a day for the rest of my life.

Did he say you only need one pack?

vZOspCz.gif

Easy am not as old as you Chippy.

Interesting read -

Gout and Water

Drinking water to relieve gout
Water is one of the best and simplest home remedies for gout. Water burns clean, it’s passed out of your urine, sweat, breathing, perspiring while working and it doesn’t stress the vital organs like the liver and kidneys and so on. Since water can serve as a joint lubricant, one who is at risk for gout should be sure to drink plenty of fluids. Drinking a half-gallon of water a day may keep gout attacks away. The recommended approximate amount is 8 - 12 eight fluid ounce glasses daily, (a glass/cup consisting of 8 oz. or 250 ml) or about eight glasses. If you’re not sure how much eight fluid ounces is exactly, observe how much by pouring water into a measuring cup.

Water will help dilute uric acid, but the real benefit is in its ability to help excrete the acid. Water makes it easier for the kidneys to excrete uric acid and makes it less likely that it will form crystals, thus hopefully preventing the next gout attack. When there’s less water in the body, the density of serum (blood) uric acid rises. Dehydration can also lead to kidney infections, stones and even failure and has been identified as a possible trigger for acute gout attacks. All this can create that excess uric acid that causes gout in the first place.

Right had a severe pain in the big toe, "like a cramp that would not go or needed the joint to crack" had this probably half a dozen times in the past few years. A had two episodes in the past 7 days when a colleague at work suggested it might be Gout, my first thoughts were "as if" but on a little research yesterday evening I decided to visit the doctors today and guess what, Gout. Need to have a blood test but the doc was convinced enough to prescribe allopurinol 2 tablets a day for the rest of my life.
A, I think your doc is over prescribing allipurinal to start off without finding the levels of the uric acid in your blood first and B,you shouldn't take allipurinol if gout flares up as it makes it worse, read note 2 on the leaflet that comes with them,you should be on anti inflammatorys first then allipurinal after it subsides,I've had the damn problem for 10 years and the doc prescribes me 300 miligram tablets which I break in half and take half a tablet a day leaving them off the weekend and from someone who had it quite bad its enough of the drug for me to keep it at bay

Interesting read -

Gout and Water

Drinking water to relieve gout
Water is one of the best and simplest home remedies for gout. Water burns clean, it’s passed out of your urine, sweat, breathing, perspiring while working and it doesn’t stress the vital organs like the liver and kidneys and so on. Since water can serve as a joint lubricant, one who is at risk for gout should be sure to drink plenty of fluids. Drinking a half-gallon of water a day may keep gout attacks away. The recommended approximate amount is 8 - 12 eight fluid ounce glasses daily, (a glass/cup consisting of 8 oz. or 250 ml) or about eight glasses. If you’re not sure how much eight fluid ounces is exactly, observe how much by pouring water into a measuring cup.

Water will help dilute uric acid, but the real benefit is in its ability to help excrete the acid. Water makes it easier for the kidneys to excrete uric acid and makes it less likely that it will form crystals, thus hopefully preventing the next gout attack. When there’s less water in the body, the density of serum (blood) uric acid rises. Dehydration can also lead to kidney infections, stones and even failure and has been identified as a possible trigger for acute gout attacks. All this can create that excess uric acid that causes gout in the first place.

One on my clients was diagnosed with gout and drinking more water was advised.
I think drinking lots of water throughout the day is really underated and can help all kinds of things. I've recently started drinking more water (especially since it;s summer and I natrually want to ride my bike more) and have found it can alleviate tiredness up to a point and have found that that body can confuse hunger with dehydration. I think that drinking more water isn't promoted more as there's no money in it

since moving over to drinking home made wine i have never had it again, is there something in shop bought wine that causes drinkers to get gout or have i just been lucky not getting it again

Probably all the chemicals they use to make that swill drinkable

since moving over to drinking home made wine i have never had it again, is there something in shop bought wine that causes drinkers to get gout or have i just been lucky not getting it again
This was meant to quote chippy
Probably all the chemicals they use to make that swill drinkable

Had a bottle of Argentinian Malbec yesterday. Not my usual tipple but a friend recommended it. Last glass of it was full of long crystals, and quite a lot still in the bottle. Not a good sign. :-? - What are they?

There was one cheap bottle of white wine from Lidl that almost put my OH in hospital, with myself being a close second. No reaction to wines usually, but she went bright red with a quickly spreading rash and me likewise but not as bad after only a glass each. It had a ship on the bottle so now I don't drink white wine anymore.

Trying to avoid gout if possible and I like the idea of 2 dry days where I drink more water instead on those days - for medicinal purposes only you understand :grin:

Back