Apollo and Galaxy substitutes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows which hops can be used in place of Apollo or Galaxy and vice versa? Not asking with regard a specific recipe but more for my general knowledge as I try to make do with what I can get over here.

Cheers!

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone knows which hops can be used in place of Apollo or Galaxy and vice versa? Not asking with regard a specific recipe but more for my general knowledge as I try to make do with what I can get over here.

Cheers!

Theres a few of these around on the web if you google 'hop substitution table' or similar:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/hop-substitutions/

Worth checking a few different tables for a concensus of substitutes for your particular hops.

Thanks guys, yeah I have 2 hop substitution charts in my (digital) brewing scrapbook but for some reason they do not have either Apollo or Galaxy in, they are pretty much the only missing "major" hops.
I'll add those to the lists that henteaser mentioned.

There is no good single hop substitute for Galaxy, it is too unique. Certainly Citra and Mosaic are the closest, but not all that close. Amarillo and Centennial aren't close at all.

I make lots of very hoppy beer, using all sorts of hops, but I adore Galaxy, and the closest I have got to Galaxy is a three-way blend of Citra, Mosaic and Columbus in equal parts. Galaxy has a sulphorous edge that the Columbus helps to simulate, with Citra and Mosaic bringing the Tropical (both), Dank (Mosaic), Citrus (Citra) and Stone Fruit (Mosaic) characteristics.

Apollo is well substituted with a mix of Summit and Columbus, though either of those alone will work in a pinch.

If you type "Hop Substitution Chart" into Google you will get everything you wish to know, and then print it off for future reference.

Now you've got me thinking HopHead, I'm starting to put together an APA recipe combining Apollo, Galaxy and Columbus.

My advice for using the more special and expensive aroma hops (Nelson, Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra, Amarillo etc) is to use them predominantly for dry hopping, and otherwise in the whirlpool/hopstand, but even in the whirlpool/hopstand/very late in the boil you'll lose quite a bit of their character.

Irishwizard yeah as I said above, I've got a couple of hop charts but these ones are missing on both, and I couldn't find any. I suspect it's as hop head said and there are no good substitutes.

Hop head, thanks for the advice. I did a pale ale recently with cascade and citra where the citra was only at flame out and dry hopped. It came out much better than I imagined. So in this case I could bitter with Columb us, then use the Apollo and galaxy for late additions and dry hopping?

When do the Aussies bring in the 2017 hop harvest? Whilst propping up the bar in a brewery pub last week I got chatting to one of the brewery owners and one of the subjects that came up was the unavailability of Galaxy. Apparently Guinness bought up the lot in 2016 for some duff lager they make hence the shortage. The brewer I spoke to got a limited supply through some contorted route via Germany. Anyway when the Aussies release the 2017 harvest if I were you I'd buy what you want for the year before it gets snapped up by some megabrewery again.

Hop head, thanks for the advice. I did a pale ale recently with cascade and citra where the citra was only at flame out and dry hopped. It came out much better than I imagined. So in this case I could bitter with Columb us, then use the Apollo and galaxy for late additions and dry hopping?
It all depends on how much of each hop you have, but in an ideal world I wouldn't add a buttering charge, I would do a ratio of 1:1:1 of all three in the whirlpool to get all my IBUs, then dry hop in a ratio of 3:1:1 Galaxy:Columbus:Apollo... And I would use a lot of dry hops... More than the whirlpool.

There is no good single hop substitute for Galaxy, it is too unique. Certainly Citra and Mosaic are the closest, but not all that close. Amarillo and Centennial aren't close at all.

I make lots of very hoppy beer, using all sorts of hops, but I adore Galaxy, and the closest I have got to Galaxy is a three-way blend of Citra, Mosaic and Columbus in equal parts. Galaxy has a sulphorous edge that the Columbus helps to simulate, with Citra and Mosaic bringing the Tropical (both), Dank (Mosaic), Citrus (Citra) and Stone Fruit (Mosaic) characteristics.

Apollo is well substituted with a mix of Summit and Columbus, though either of those alone will work in a pinch.
I agree,Mosaic is dank and is a unique hop,very very tasty, I haven't tried Galaxy yet, could it work well in a smash beer?

I agree,Mosaic is dank and is a unique hop,very very tasty, I haven't tried Galaxy yet, could it work well in a smash beer?

Galaxy is the secret unicorn of hops here in Japan. That damn KIRIN beer company took all the contracts for it for Asia. But it’s an amazing hop.

Yes, it's one of the great smash hops, along with Citra, Mosaic, Nelson and arguably Amarillo. Depending on harvest it will throw passion fruit, clementine, mango and generic sulphur driven fruitiness.

I'm not sure I'd describe Mosaic as 'dank'. I had a bottle of the M&S single-hop mosaic brew (relabelled Adnams) last night and I got oranges from it. My wife, who's much better at this than I am, immediately said "orange marmalade" after tasting it. It's OK on it's own but quite one-dimensional.

I note that M&S also do single-hop Simcoe and Amarillo so I'm going to try those as well. It's a great way to understand these hops before designing a recipe.

Living a stone's throw from Southwold I drink a lot of Mosaic. It is very variable, sometimes it is generic fruity, sometimes it's like a pint of onions, and sometimes it can be citric, though that is probably the rarest way it comes. I would describe it as dank when it combines its fruity character with just a slight undercurrent of onion/garlic. Mosaic is quite a variable hop by crop, though most hops vary a decent amount by crop.

Irishwizard yeah as I said above, I've got a couple of hop charts but these ones are missing on both, and I couldn't find any. I suspect it's as hop head said and there are no good substitutes.

Sorry about that:doh:
My chart says
APOLLO - NUGGET, COLUMBUS, ZEUS, MAGNUM, MILLENIUM

GALAXY - CITRA, CENTENNIAL
hope that helps a bit....cheers

Cool, thanks Irishwizard, I'll add those too. It is a particular challenge to get certain hops over here in Prague, I've just had to order some Mt Hood from the UK, the postage cost double the hops! :-(

On the Mosaic discussion I'd say my impression has always been of a "dank" hop, I've not really noted many prominent zesty, citrus notes (even in that M+S err) so I am intrigued by this discussion. One that note, the M+S range is pretty good isn't it? A lot of different breweries providing options. I think there is a Citra single hop from Oakham brewery that is highly regarded too, although I have never had it. I like the Mosaic and Amarillo ones though.

Latest posts

Back