Crossmyloof Real Ale Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a bottle of Fullers 1845 in the fridge ready for when I next fancy doing a bitter. I might have to get hold of a bottle of pedigree and try the yeast.

Is there a list of bottle-conditioned beers somewhere on here, along with recommendations?

Edit: Sorry just found it, right on the index page, doh!

Last edited:
Tbh, even though it ferments fast, I think I've gone off the real ale yeast. It just doesnt do what I want it to, basically give me enough esters. Also, It's very malty but it gives too dry a finish because of the high attenuation (80%), which I find a bit unbalanced.
I have 5L stovetopper bitter in the FV at the mo. I did a gravity reading/taste last night and it had the above 'problems'. It's OK but not what I want my bitters to be like. In future I think I'll just nick yeast from bottle conditioned beers for bitters.

Looking for something a bit fruitier?

I have a bottle of Fullers 1845 in the fridge ready for when I next fancy doing a bitter. I might have to get hold of a bottle of pedigree and try the yeast.

I wondered how this compares the buying an equivalent liquid yeast from a HB shop?
I plan to do a Yorkshire Bitter next and I am considering the 1845 route.

I've tried a couple of the commercial versions of Fuller's yeast, and harvested from Bengal Lancer, and they seemed identical to me.

Yeah, defiantely. I just find it too clean. The fullers yeast is my bench mark, so I think I'll just go with some of that next time

CAnnot really comment because my only use with the real ale was a stuck one which got a pelicle and I needed to finish with a belle saison (it ate the pelicle too!)

But Yeah I agree, often the clean dry yeasts are thrown in or put in a recipe a lot by default in Bitters and English ales But I prefer the fruiter breadier sweeter less attenuated flavours.

CAnnot really comment because my only use with the real ale was a stuck one which got a pelicle and I needed to finish with a belle saison (it ate the pelicle too!)

But Yeah I agree, often the clean dry yeasts are thrown in or put in a recipe a lot by default in Bitters and English ales But I prefer the fruiter breadier sweeter less attenuated flavours.

Its not a bad yeast. It just doesnt do what I want it to do

Whilst this is a bit cleaner than I want it to be, this is a fantastic fast turn around yeast. It's carbed the beer up in two days! (although there is a touch of sulphur on the nose, which will clean up in a couple more days). I'm liking this yeast for bitters more than I initially thought

slightly off thread but I pitched the crossmyloof US Pale Ale yeast instead of the blackrock pale ale kit yeast yesterday,rehydrated it in cooled boiled water for the advised 15 minutes,got up this morning and its a goer.tonight as we speak its got my tempremental fastfermenter air lock bubbling and the house smells like a bad fart, swmbo aint too pleased but well impressed am i:lol::thumb:

We'd never notice over the smell of actual bad fart that tends to be present in our home. :lol: Never even smelled any sulphurous smells from the Youngs cider, and pretty much everybody said it smelled bad....

I can only really judge the real ale yeast from re-starting the Headcracker kit, but I did indeed find that it is VERY malty, rather than the fruit flavours most report with this kit. Similar kettle of fish from the Wherry kit, much higher alcohol, nice malty flavour. Not tasted the ale I used the US Pale Ale yeast on yet as it's only just slowing down fermenting.

I suspect it's a case of horses for courses. You can't just bung any old yeast in and expect to get the exact result you want. If you could, you wouldn't have different strains and varieties I'm sure. Very tempting to just use CML stuff though as it's so cheap... lol Plus I actually like malty beer. ;)

We'd never notice over the smell of actual bad fart that tends to be present in our home. :lol: Never even smelled any sulphurous smells from the Youngs cider, and pretty much everybody said it smelled bad....

I can only really judge the real ale yeast from re-starting the Headcracker kit, but I did indeed find that it is VERY malty, rather than the fruit flavours most report with this kit. Similar kettle of fish from the Wherry kit, much higher alcohol, nice malty flavour. Not tasted the ale I used the US Pale Ale yeast on yet as it's only just slowing down fermenting.

I suspect it's a case of horses for courses. You can't just bung any old yeast in and expect to get the exact result you want. If you could, you wouldn't have different strains and varieties I'm sure. Very tempting to just use CML stuff though as it's so cheap... lol Plus I actually like malty beer. ;)

Its good if you use if for low OG beers. Low OG beers are notoriusly hard to get body into. I'm currently drinking a 1.036 bitter that I used the real ale yeast in and it's defianatly got a lot of malty body to it

Apparently you get a tax break if a beer is below a certain OG (I'm not exactly sure what that OG is) but you never really see them around. I would suggest that this is because of the difficulty of making a good low OG beer. I cant believe commercial breweries would miss out on a tax break, especially as profit margins are so slim in the industry, if this wasnt the case

Back