Care Navigators.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you think this is a good idea?

• No - if i am ill i want to see my doctor.

• Yes - the receptionist can decide who i see.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It looks like your doctors receptionist are going to be trained to take details of your illness and direct patients to other health professionals, including nurses, pharmacists or physiotherapists.

I do not think half a days training is enough and i am not sure i want to discuss my illness with my receptionist if i am ill enough to phone the doctor i am ill enough to see him/her.

Patients trying to see a GP are being screened by receptionists in a controversial scheme designed to cut the number of appointments.
Under an NHS drive to free up doctors' time, clerical staff are being trained as 'care navigators'.
They are being sent on a half-day course and taught how to direct patients to other health professionals, including nurses, pharmacists or physiotherapists.
The scheme was devised to reduce 'avoidable' appointments and is gradually being adopted by surgeries across England.
GPs say up to a quarter of consultations are unnecessary and taken up by patients who could look after themselves at home or see another health professional.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nists-controversial-scheme.html#ixzz4thZtjrZW
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I have a serious illness and would only want to see my own gp
who know about me and my illness

I suppose there's loads who go to the doctors who don't actually need to see one...but then unless you're a hypochondriac how would you know you don't need to see one? I go to the doctors as a last resort. Lately ours has taken to asking what's up when you phone but they get the doctor to ring you back to discuss what's up then they make a decision as to give an appointment.

I phone my GP for an appointment they do ask what is wrong
I just say its an ongoing thing and I get an appointment straight away no problem

I can see where they are comming from re un- needed appointments as i do feel that an awful lot of time must be taken up with people who simply have colds etc!.I know certain people who will run to the doctor with any form of minor ailment,or ohhhh my god,my kid has sneezed,lets get it to the doctors:doh:
However our receptionists are already damn hard to break down and will attempt to fob you off with a two week wait to see the doctor and unless you put your foot down this is what you will get!

Would i actually be happy about them making a decision on whom i see:nono:If a decision was made via the practice nurse then that might be a different story. I already see her three times a year as it is for my C.O.P.D treatment and am happy about that.

Have a read,

About sums up my thoughts

lllllll.jpg

http://couplejokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/old-man-visiting-the-doctor.jpg

It makes some sense theres no point in seeing your GP just for them to say go and see someone else.

It makes some sense theres no point in seeing your GP just for them to say go and see someone else.

NHS 111's staff who are far better trained have made mistakes in the past so i do not think this should be a decision made by a receptionist with a fancy name.

They pretty much already do this at my GP.

If you want an appointment because you are ill then you can get one the same day just that you have to be on the phone repeat dialling at 8am when the lines open. The receptionist will ask what the issue is and/or if it's something that can be dealt with by the prescribing nurse. If between you it's decided that the nurse is a reasonable first port of call then seeing the nurse is fine. If during the appointment he/she decides it's out of their depth then they'll get the duty doctor involved.

Personally I don't have an issue with this and I think it works quite well, gets the minor ailments dealt with leaving the doctors to deal with the more serious stuff.

You can still ask for a GP appointment without discussing it if it's a delicate issue, just say so.

On a recent occasion I wanted to see the doc, the receptionist didn't ask what was wrong but couldn't get me in for two weeks! I said I was in a lot of pain and could not work and I might be dead by then but to no avail. After a bit of an exchange I said forget it I'll go to A&E. She then immediately changed her tune and asked if I could come in a couple of hours hence? What happened there?

It stands to reason that obtaining medical attention will involve disclosing your problem at some stage, and after a week of asking such questions im sure even the most ardent busy body will be bored to tears with any ciliatus revelations they may become party to.

its the back room staff in the hospital pulling your epr's and ehr's for a laugh with searches containing words like "fart" and "knob" you should be worrying about they have been having a laugh at your expense for the last 40 years.. Not that i ever witnessed such activities when visiting any nhs IT depts, but u know IT nerds.. ;)

My GP surgery operate a triage system. If you feel poorly and ring up for an appointment in the morning, the receptionist asks if it's an emergency, you say yes, and you then get a call back from a triage nurse who then arranges for an appointment with a GP having questioned you about your illness. However, if you ring after lunch break there's no triage so the receptionist will then try and fob you off with a request to ring back the following day, but if you stick to your guns you will most likely get an appointment that afternoon.
And anyone who only has to wait two weeks for a routine appointment is quite well served. I usually have to wait at least a month, more likely six weeks, to see a GP.
And the number of GPs on holiday, on maternity leave, only working part-time is unbelievable.

I got seen same morning around a fortnight ago as I had dreadful earache and the seaside in one and the TV test card in the other! Had a check up,no infection but enough wax for a candle factory. Got some drops for it and a 3 week wait for syringing! I'm still applying the drops the noise is still there but no pain...come on next Monday!

I got seen same morning around a fortnight ago as I had dreadful earache and the seaside in one and the TV test card in the other! Had a check up,no infection but enough wax for a candle factory. Got some drops for it and a 3 week wait for syringing! I'm still applying the drops the noise is still there but no pain...come on next Monday!

I'm very prone to this.. got fed up having it seen to so devised my own remedy. A few days of olive oil, then get in the bath and blast the **** out of it via a tube inserted into the lughole, connected to a fairy liquid bottle filled with hot water. Wax comes out looking like a cig butt and when the water drains, everything is excrutiatingly LOUD! It's awesome. Docs don't use proper syringes anymore for fear of busting eardrums or somesuch nonsense.

I'm very prone to this.. got fed up having it seen to so devised my own remedy. A few days of olive oil, then get in the bath and blast the **** out of it via a tube inserted into the lughole, connected to a fairy liquid bottle filled with hot water. Wax comes out looking like a cig butt and when the water drains, everything is excrutiatingly LOUD! It's awesome. Docs don't use proper syringes anymore for fear of busting eardrums or somesuch nonsense.
Gunge,only you buddy,only you 😂

A ridiculous solution to a simple problem.
The problem is that doctors surgeries are overflowing with the feckless and the self entitled looking to get for free what they can buy over the counter at the local supermarket for pennies - and who couldn't care less that in doing so, they are racking up an enormous cost to the public purse and blocking working people from seeing their GP.
A better solution is to completely get rid of "free" prescriptions and make everybody pay a nominal charge that is higher than the price of buying over the counter at the pharmacy - say £2 per item.

IMHO This should be a nurse led service, not a receptionist one... Nurses not only undergo years of training at university, but often also have a broad range of knowledge and experience that a receptionist will never have. Perhaps more importantly they also have a professional code of conduct which if broken gets them removed from the register, which includes strict rules covering confidentiality, something receptionists don't have (we regularly hear the receptionists at our GPs discussing patients in full earshot of the entire waiting room). Nurses cost more though, which is why many hospitals HCSWs now do most of the work that nurses used to do....

Out GPs uses EMISWeb though, so we can book appointments, get repeat prescriptions etc, via either the Patient Access app or via the website. The appointment booking side has a box you can put why you want an appointment, it'd take seconds for a GP to glance at this before approving the appointment, declining the appointment, arranging a telephone consultation, or re-directing the patient to the relevant service. They don't even look at it though, and still ask me what they can help me with when I go. Like others though, it takes about 2 weeks to get an appointment at our GPs, you can't even get an emergency one same day as usually a mum has booked them for their kid who has a sore throat within seconds of the surgery opening the phone line for the day. I phoned once as I had nearly gone blind in one eye, only to be told to go to the walk in at a nearby hospital, who then sent me to eye clinic in A&E (turned out I had a micro ulcer on my cornea, that was treated and fixed by 5 days later, thanks to the nurse I saw in A&E...). Yet if you go direct to the walk in or A&E they send a nasty letter telling you to phone them first in future. lol

We're unusual though, been an ex nurse myself I know when to use medical services, and when to use over the counter remedies (I didn't see one for years, then finally had to go when my diabetes first showed up on the scene, I ended up in hospital for 3 days getting it stabilised). Many people it seems don't care to learn this, and just go straight to their GP or A&E. So sadly I can see why they feel some form of triage is needed. It won't work though, you'll just have people who DO need to see a GP been turned away whilst people with a bit of a cough getting to see one.

As to prescriptions, if it's available over the counter, or you only need a strength that is available over the counter, then this shouldn't be given on prescription, a recommended medication slip would be better, where you then pay for it yourself. If it wasn't for free prescriptions though (type 2 diabetic so get my meds for this for free) I could never afford my diabetes meds, the Victoza injectable for example is incredibly expensive. We'd end up like the US with people dropping dead purely because they can't afford the medicine that easily treats their condition. People just need to start THINKING before running to their GPs/A&E, as that's not something that is going to happen any time soon, then yeah triage is needed, just not by a receptionist... There are already enough cases of life threatening illness going undetected by GPs, without receptionists getting more involved too.. ;)

So, no vote on the poll from me, as I want option 3 "A nurse or Dr should triage who the Dr does or doesn't see, as 90% of people are apparently unable to judge this for themselves". :P

Back